This has been a great day!

Guest MidTNDawg

Guest MidTNDawg

I got my vacuum tank back today and reinstalled it. I cannot be certain quite yet, but every indication is the pump is pumping! And now I can begin working on some of the myriad of things which remain to be done.

Re: the water pump. I plan to tighten the nut to see if that stops the leaking. If not, where do I get the packing? Will NAPA have it?

Several places seem to be leaking, seeping, oil. They will just have to come one at a time.

Steering to be lubed, worked, tested.

And . . . and . . . etc

But this is great.

Doug

Don't tighten the packing nut too tight just enough so it doesn't leak or leaks very slowly. You only need to add packing when the nut bottoms out. The old fashioned graphite rope works better than the new teflon type. Just unscrew the nut, add some packing and tighten the nut on again. You won't have to remove anything.

Guest Backyardmechanic

Offen the wrong packing has worn a grove in the shaft If you do repack the pumpand if the pump still leaks,it's time for a rebuilt with a new shaft.

Vern

Guest MidTNDawg

Vern, thank you. We will know soon. Ministering to a couple of our members has slowed me down some this week. Doug

Guest DBAcadia

remember also only pack between the gland flange and shaft. I made the novice mistake

of totally overpacking, thinking it was like a packing nut on a commercial fishing boat

shaft and now I live with an unfixable but somewhat livable leak, and I don't run anti-

freeze in that one. A wise man learns from anothers' not too wise mistake.