54-56 Question

58Edsel

How do you get the horn ring off a 56 Clipper? Does the plastic center just pop out or do you have to twist it or do you twist the whole ring?

Also we have a hood on a 55 we got open to the safty catch but can't get it released from there. Should there be another lever or is something just stuck? This is also a Clipper model.

Thanks in advance for any info!

Carl E.

54 horn emblems push down and twist CCW slightly and lift off. The 55-56 plastic center emblem is held on by friction via a rubber O ring in a groove in the emblem. Age and heat have a tendency to make the rubber stick and some almost feel as if glued in. Be very careful with any type tool under the plastic in trying to pry it out. That may be the alternative but the plastic may also be very brittle and a piece may chip off the edge. Wider and thin is better if you have to resort to that.

Here is a photo of a senior emblem showing the groove and what happens if it sticks and brute force is used.

The safety catch release is inside the grill. There should be a lever just below the wide top edge of grill. Look under that piece about center and you should see a cut out portion for your hand to work the lever

post-43944-143138469948_thumb.jpg

Edited by HH56 (see edit history)

So the 55-56 is just a press in fit. I guess I'll have to find something to pry it up with. The center cap is nice and not crazed and I don't want to chip it. We are parting these cars out so I want to be careful.

I saw the guide pin sticking down and something to the right or drivers side but can't reach it. I pushed the relese lever back & forth but it only poped and that was it. Can I try to hook it with something and pull it forward?

Here is the latch assy from below, above, and the hood piece. If the hood has shifted or out of adjustment or the whole assy is worn, I have seen the pin in the hood assy slide slightly and is not able to clear the latch bar inside the receiver hole by just a tiny amount. The first move of the lever releases that latch but if it catches the edge, it may not pop entirely free. Continued movement of lever retracts the hook assy and it has to clear a slot. If something is worn, bent or out of align that may also not clear completely.

On the emblem, it may be possible to drip a few drops of WD40 or maybe dishwashing liquid in the crack and let it sit. I have not tried that but it may soften the rubber without damage. Just be very careful with any prying.

post-43944-14313846995_thumb.jpg

post-43944-143138469951_thumb.jpg

post-43944-143138469952_thumb.jpg

That pretty much looks like it! The center of the hood was sunk in but we got it to pop out and looks like notheing ever happened to it. Seems all line up good. It's been sitting out for some years so maybe something is sticking? We wanted to see what the engine condition was in it as this is a 2 door and were thinking of selling it complete. The car is at my buddy's and it's a 62 mile trip for me. Next time up I'll mess with it more, maybe try to latch it again and re pop it open and maybe spray the guts with WD40 or something?

Thanks for the info & insight! I'll post if I get into it or not next trip.

Carl E.