1913 Buick Crankshaft seal

Guest dnoz

I have a 1913 Buick model 25. The crankshaft comes out of the front of the engine passing through a gear box. The gearbox powers a side shaft for the water pump and magneto. In front of the gearbox there is a fan pulley then the male end for the hand crank to engage.

As it exits the front of the gearbox there is an oil seal which expands with compression. I need to replace the seal. Any recommendations on what the seal should be - leather, rubber or packing rope? Also, where to get a suitable replacement or must I fabricate one. Any recommendations please! Thanks in advance.

David<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

It has been a few years, but I think my 1915 C-36 used a Felt seal originally. The front timing case has it's own fill plug and it is recommended to use gear oil in it. I bet your car is very similar. Dandy Dave!

Thank you. I suspect you are correct and it makes sense. I used gear oil in the timing case through the plugged opening on top. I plan to use graphite rope/packing in place of the felt. Any thought on where to get felt that would work? It appears the flange, when in place, compresses whatever is inside and thus graphite rope packing seemed acceptable.

You might laugh, but the jute backing for carpet seems to work well. Just cut out a piece as large as the outside diameter of the opening and then the center hole a little smaller than the crankshaft and you are done. I a have also glued some felt together to get a piece thick enough for the opening.