1939 Royal Tour car McLaughlin

Pete Phillips

A BCA member phoned me yesterday to talk about the 1939 Buick that was custom made for King George and Queen Elizabeth for their Royal Tour of Canada in 1939. He speculated that the car is probably in a museum somewhere, and wouldn't it be nice to get it out and have it used for the upcoming Royal wedding in which (is it Prince Harry or Prince William?) the royal couple is going to come to Canada for their honeymoon.

Does anyone know of the car I'm talking about?

Pete Phillips, BCA #7338

Leonard, TX

Pete, as you probably know, there were two such cars.

One was displayed at the Sloan Museum's Buick Gallery and Research Center in Flint during the Buick Centennial in 2003, and I believe that it normally resides in a museum in Ontario. Others may know the exact museum.

The other car has been in British Columbia for many years, and has been owned by Vern Bethel. When I spoke on several occasions with Vern Bethel in 2007, hoping to have the car displayed at the BCA National in the Seattle area, the car's ownership was being transferred to the British Columbia Museum of Transport. (We were unsuccessful in getting the car to the Seattle area for the meet.)

EDIT NOTE: I have been unable to identify the correct museum in BC by using online searches.

Edited by Centurion (see edit history)

Pete and all, one of the cars is in a museum storage area in Ottawa, Ontario, Canada. I was there on a special behind the scenes tour not offered to the general public. I was with the McLaughlin Buick Club of Canada on their annual tour last summer. As I remember the car was in excellent condition, and you can see a partial description of the car on a stand. These are the only pics I took of the car. I am sure the museum would be able to provide more information.

post-48480-143138462697_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143138462711_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143138462725_thumb.jpg