Rally wheel caps

bepnewt

Until I get new wheels, my '64 will be sporting the Rallys I bought it with - which don't have any caps on them.

I have no idea what these wheels originally came from, but I know it wasn't a '64 Riv, and it looks like it could have been from quite a few different Buicks. Is there a good chance that these caps on eBay will work on my wheels?

1960s-80s BUICK RALLY WHEEL CENTER CAP SET(4) NICE SET! - eBay (item 260741116001 end time Feb-27-11 15:27:40 PST)

Ignore the wild variance in color on the pics - the car really isn't 2-tone left & right.

-BEPNewt

post-72864-143138458104_thumb.jpg

post-72864-143138458109_thumb.jpg

Hi Brian,

Measure the center hole of the wheels on your car. They will measure exactly 2 inches or 2 and 1/8 inches. The smaller diameter will accept the flat caps as used on the `65 or `71 and up Buicks. The larger diameter will accept the larger fluted cap which was factory equipment on the `66 through `70 Buicks. The Riviera caps will have the "R" symbol and the other full size Buicks will have the tri-shield symbol.

The link you provided is for Skylark or midsize wheels-dont know how these will fit on your full size wheels?

I`m sure someone will be able to provide a link to each of the caps I describe above,

Tom Mooney

I measured the center hole of each wheel this morning, Tom.

2", 2", 2", 2-1/8". Meh.

While I was there, I decided to measure the rims themselves. I don't know where I'm supposed to measure from, so I measured from lip-2-lip, straight across, and they were all a little over 16".

Thanks for the info on Mitch, I'll send him an email.

-BEPNewt

Hi Brian,

Sounds like you have a mismatched set which is very typical. I`m a little concerned you may have some wheels with the wrong offset as Buick only produced the wheels with correct offset and a 2 inch center hole for two years, `64 and `65.

Check across the face of the rims with a straight edge. If the offset is correct the nose of the wheel where the center cap seats should be inboard or recessed as compared to the edge of the rim. If the nose projects beyond the edge of the rim the offset of the wheel is not proper for your `64. Problem is the back side of the wheel might seat against the brake drum before it seats against the hub. This will produce a mushy feel as the lug nuts tighten and may result in a wheel which can work loose. Check the wheels before you invest in a custom tailored set of center caps.

BTW, Mitch has been a friend of mine for many years and he is very particular about the quality of the items he sells. I whole heartedly recommend him. Tell him I said hello!

Tom Mooney

Hi Brian,

Sounds like you have a mismatched set which is very typical. I`m a little concerned you may have some wheels with the wrong offset as Buick only produced the wheels with correct offset and a 2 inch center hole for two years, `64 and `65.

If the nose projects beyond the edge of the rim the offset of the wheel is not proper for your `64.

Your concern is well founded!

The 3 wheels that have the 2" center hole all have the nose sticking further out than the edge of the rim.

The 1 wheel that has the 2-1/8" center hole is the only one where the nose is recessed in further than the edges of the rim.

I think I'm going to name my car "Frankensteinette".

I'm going to re-double my search for new wheels pronto to get these 3 incorrect wheels off of her ASAP.

Thanks for the info.

-BEPNewt

I have the same caps you showed on my '64. I got them from the junkyard and they came off a 78 Regal. They fit, but I had to bend the tabs out because they were loose. I don't really like them and I only paid $10 bucks for the set. I would wait and get the correct caps. If you are tight on money maybe you could find a used set one at a time here on the forum for a fair price.