1953 56R firewall number

Yellowriv

Hi all.

I have a very original 53 56R Super Riviera Hardtop in Verde Green over Osage Cream.

I have decoded the data plate, however on the passengers side of the firewall it also has in red crayon a large number "548".

Can anyone tell me what this means?

Photo of the car attached.

2em39u9.jpg

Thanks for your help

John

Guest DaveCorbin

Dear John:

The crayon number is most probably what is called a "line sequence number". People assume in error that everything was built in exact frame number or exact engine number sequence. This assumption is absolutely wrong. The actual build sequence is controlled by the "line sequence number", which is assigned by the factory usually about 2 to 5 days before the car is actually assembled. On the line, your car would be preceded by 547 and followed by 549. At International Harvester, we started with 0001 and went to 9999 and then started over. The lineset tickets were given out in this exact order, with a copy of the lineset ticket for frames, cabs, engines, axles and front sheet metal. When the sub- assemblies got to the line, they're in exactly the right order and all the line does is take the sub-assembly off the supply and put it on the vehicle.

Regards, Dave Corbin

Thanks for the comments Guys.

Dave, thanks for your assistance. I thought it must have been something like that. As the crayon number is over the yellow paint on the firewall, I assume this means the car was painted then came to the main assembly line, received its ticket and they scribbled the number on the firewall. Would all the sub assemblies carry a ticket with 548 on them? ( please excuse the dumb questions as I have no knowledge of this stuff)

regards

John

• 3 weeks later...
Guest DaveCorbin

Dear John:

Yes, virtually all sub-assemblies got a lineset number and a ticket to start things off. At IH in Fort wayne in the early 60's, it took about 50 copies to get a truck built. Since the trucks were custom built, I don't think a car plant would use quite that many, but it would still be a number that would surprise you.

Here are just a few of the places:

Side rail prep, frame build, cab prep, cab paint, cab trim, seats, instrument panel sub, front axle, rear axle, engine, transmission, auxiliary transmission, air tanks, fuel tanks, tires, wheels, front sheet metal prep, front sheet metal paint, front sheet metal assembly, hood, main line, prop shaft area. EVERYTHING comes to the line in order! In other words, "just in time" to the max!

Regards, Dave Corbin