JFK Ambulance

Guest windjamer

Guest windjamer

What happened to the B.J. auction thread and did the JFK ambulance sell or was it pulled? Seems like every time a thread becomes the slightest bit controversial it disappears. I think most of us here are adult.:confused:

Guest Bluesmobile

It sold for $120,000. After reading everything it looks like it had a 50% chance of being authentic. The seller seemed satisified and the buyer was very happy. I'd like to see it in person some day.

Looks like the seller did okay if this is the same car:

cvc_sale.jpg

Guest ray17025

I saw an interview with Mrs. Allen on Sunday, stating that she had purchased it post hammer from the high bidder. With her money in it, I would say that it is much higher than 50/50, but you couldn't give it to me, no ghoul here!

It was quickly resold for an undisclosed amount to a Colorado collector. The real winners were the

Friends of the Professional Car Society, whose members brought many things to light about the

car in a 39-page and growing thread. It's a fascinating trail that garnered them national publicity

and 20,000-plus hits on their site, an all-time record.

In the body of posts, someone asked if they could legally be held responsible for the car's poorer-than-

expected auction performance. Sued because they cast a reasonable doubt on the car's authenticity.

The thread(s) here may have been deleted because they were getting rather heated; only the

moderators know why. It's funny that no other auction house (RM, Gooding & Co., Russo & Steele,

Mecum, etc.) elicits a similar, polarizing reaction, at least since I've been around.

TG

Edited by TG57Roadmaster (see edit history)

What happened to the B.J. auction thread and did the JFK ambulance sell or was it pulled? Seems like every time a thread becomes the slightest bit controversial it disappears. I think most of us here are adult.:confused:

Dick,

The author of both posts deleted them--not the moderating staff.

Peter.

Guest 19caddylimo

I was at the Barrett-Jackson event last Monday. I was watching Craig Jackson being interviewed by a FOX news reporter about the ambulance. Near the car, they had what appeared to be decent documentation with pictures and an historical record showing the car transporting President Kennedy.

If it weren't for its potential provenance, the car would be worth a few thousand dollars. I did hear that it's goiing into a museum. I think that's the only reasonable and appropriate thing to do with it.

Edited by 19caddylimo (see edit history)

Guest windjamer
:) Thank you for the ans. to both my questions. I thought the history portion of the thread was vary interesting and I hated to not know what happened. Its like reading a good book and finding someone tore the last page out. :D

The ambulance in the ad is discussed here on the PCS site, referred to thruout the discussion

as the "Kossoff car" or ambulance, because of its prior owner.

So TG, what do you think? I also slogged through the PCS posting but did not read every item (since I am doing this at work and have to have SOME appearance of real work happening).

Under the circumstances I do not necessarily disapprove of Barrett Jackson proceeding with the sale of the car with the disclaimer that it cannot be absolutely proven or disproven. But I did observe that the buyer was a friend and nearby neighbor of Craig Jackson and when interviewed did not seem especially certain of why she bought the car. Then it was immediately sold to another flamboyant B-J high roller, but why did she not buy it in the first place? Imagine--a conspiracy theory!?!

Either way, both the seller and the auction people seemed very irritated to be questioned about the car's (questionable) history. Todd

Guest Dave Boyer

Would, the Navy not have some record of the car, that they could compare the equipment number (as I call them) on the car picking up the casket, to a vin? This after all is the government...If the numbers all matched, and the car looks un-modified, them would it not be the car?

I've also read through the Professional Car website, and a few other places. I'm not defending anyone, but it should be fairly easy to verify, since it was government owned...

Just because it was ordered destroyed, doesn't mean that it really was ??? I realize there was a letter dated, 1963, when the guy retired in 1961...

As for that one in the ad, it has that huge siren on the fender, the BJ car didn't, now it could have been repaired, but I'm sure you could tell.

I'm just wondering....

Edited by Dave Boyer (see edit history)