carpet set

Guest squiretom

Guest squiretom

hi guys

just browsing ebay and there is a listing for a full carpet set from aardvark at a reasonable price. what is the correct " tan " color for a 91 ?

has anyone dealt with this vendor ?

Item number:320639611855

Guest ReattaFan1

I haven't heard or dealt with them, but I was looking at their carpet myself before I attempted on cleaning and color staining my carpet. They have a pretty good feedback rating. I was going through the feedback list trying to look to see if there was a Reatta purchase with feedback. It's 45 pages of feedback and I quit looking at page 10. For the most part, everyone seems pretty content on purchasing from the seller. Some say just a little trimming was needed for a perfect fit, others say it's just ok. On page 10 someone complained quote "Was not quite form fitting as described. Needed to form fit most myself" but that was on 94-01 Acura Integra, the with a Reatta kit you might have a totally different outcome. Form fitting is important. If i were you I'd look and see in the sellers feedback and see if you can find a Reatta carpet with a comment listed.

Edited by ReattaFan1 (see edit history)

I would check out Car Motorsports. From what I've heard, people here seem to have been happy with carpets from them.

88-91 Buick Reatta

$199.95

Interior Only (2000 Series/Std. Poly Bkg.)

$ 84.95

Cargo Only (2000 Series/Std. Poly Bkg.)

$ 79.95

Accessory Kit (2000 Series/Std. Poly Bkg.)

$309.95

Complete set (2000 Series/std. Poly Bkg.)

$379.95

Complete set with rubber backing on interior (2000 series/Rubber Bkg. on Interior Only)

$134.95

Interior Only (1000 Series/Std. Poly Bkg.)

$ 59.95

Cargo Only (1000 Series/Std. Poly Bkg.)

$ 59.95

Accessory Kit (1000 Series/Std. Poly Bkg.)

$229.95

Complete set (1000 Series/Rubber bkg. on interior only)

Keep in mind that most of the outfits selling auto carpet are resellers of ACC (Auto Custom Carpets) product line. This includes Car Motorsports (I ordered mine through them) and likely most ebay sellers.

Now, here is the rub. ACC makes carpet to order for the Reatta but it is a generic E platform carpet set. It is molded to the floorpan of a Rivi/Eldorado/Toronado so it has carpet for a rear floor pan rather than the storage bin. This has to be cut off and discarded for the Reatta. There is no formed carpet available for the rear storage bin anywhere that I have found. The only way to do this is to order matching jute backed yardage of carpet and "roll your own".

This means lots of custom fitting, trimming and aggravation to get it looking decent. You will need to cut the carpet inlays for the storage compartment covers, as well as the sides of the center console and the inlays on the front door panels if you want it all new and matching. It is also impossible to form this carpet to the inside of the bins, they are too deep and angular to get the carpet to lay right. Also, make sure you use decent contact cement to adhere the carpet to the rear storage bin.

Obviously, the normal trimming of edges and cutouts for seat wiring harnesses and center console/shifter also needs to be done to the formed section. This is not exactly a beginner grade project IMO, but if you have patience and can measure & cut well then it can be done in about a weekend.

The upshot of all this is that the carpet sets that can be purchased are not simply plug and play, they all require a fair amount of customization/rework for the Reatta. Thus, do not order expecting everything will be ready to go right out of the box.

KDirk

Guest ReattaFan1
...There is no formed carpet available for the rear storage bin anywhere that I have found. The only way to do this is to order matching jute backed yardage of carpet and "roll your own".

This means lots of custom fitting, trimming and aggravation to get it looking decent. You will need to cut the carpet inlays for the storage compartment covers, as well as the sides of the center console and the inlays on the front door panels if you want it all new and matching. It is also impossible to form this carpet to the inside of the bins, they are too deep and angular to get the carpet to lay right. Also, make sure you use decent contact cement to adhere the carpet to the rear storage bin...

You can find the complete kit here

Car Motorsports - Carpet

Go to reattaowner.com for the installation instructions http://reattaowner.com/roj/reatta-repair-instructions-and-tutorials/view/body+-+interior/new+carpet+installation+instructions/26.html

Picture48.png

Kevin, your so right about the aggravation with fitting, trimming. Ive learned my lesson. A long long time ago I ordered a carpet from JC Whitney for the car I had. Oh my god, the aggravation!! I even tried using a hair dryer to help heat and form without much improvement. I know people are going to say JC Whitney??? And Your Right! It is what it is... But that was my only experience with aftermarket carpet. This last time when I weighing my options with my Reatta and the dirty, sun bleached carpet I remembered back to my experience. My carpet for the most part was still in good shape. The pile was still good and not wore down much. All the stains uplifted with ease after a second passing with a good quality carpet shampoo. I used a portable green machine carpet cleaner and that worked just fine. After I died/colored the carpet back it's in great shape. Im pleased with the outcome. I'd do that any time over ordering new carpet. Plus, the OEM carpet is really plush. Ive never seen such a fine pile carpet blend in an automobile. Im not sure if one could find that carpet pile type in an aftermarket replacement.

Edit: Sorry Marck, I missed that you already referred to carmotorsport.com. I guess it's good to leave the fact that the whole kit's and or other options are available. Plus I put up a link to the instructables just in case anyone needed it.

Edited by ReattaFan1 (see edit history)

I purchased a complete carpet set from carmotorsports in

August 2007 and installed it myself. I consider myself an

amature and found the process rather easy. It took me

about a week working 3-4 hours a day. Also, it allowed me

to examine all the wiring etc and make any needed repairs

and to replace the very old and stinky jute backing.

I was very pleased with the outcome and very pleased with

carmotorsports customer service, price and product.

Previously there was a lot of posts regarding the availability

of molded carpet for the cargo area. I remember at the time

that appearently it is no longer available. I just checked out

the carmotorsport website and was surprised to see it listed.

For those of you who are interested, perhaps you could call

them and report back as to the availability of the molded

carpet for the cargo area. At any rate I would recommend

carmotorsports for your carpet needs.

Also of note the carpeting will not likely be the "correct" velour-finish as originally supplied on your car.

The PO had standard-issue cut pile carpeting installed in my '88. The job was done correctly and all, but it's not nearly as nice as the original carpeting IMO.

Guest Kingsley

This has no relevancy as to the quality of carpet kits but, having just replaced the carpet padding and the door interior trim panel "water deflector" as it is called in the parts book, I can add emphasis to:

1. A heat gun has little impact on Reatta carpet forming and the floor carpet has many challenging curves in its configuration.

2. It is indeed a most interesting way to learn about your Reatta and offers an excellent opportunity to replace the gear shift vinyl.

3. I have a fair amount of carpet padding left as I overbought and only too happy to give it away. Only problem is that the cost of shipping would probably be greater than the material cost IF you have easy access to a vendor.

4. To get a good, proper fit with replacement carpet it will be prudent to remove the center console as the lower edge of the console overlaps the carpet.

Making no comment as to carpet quality, removing and replacing any carpet is a very rewarding challenge.

Ok,

Based on Car Motorsports current product listing, they appear to have pre-cut inlay pieces and cargo area carpeting. When I ordered mine, they were not available. Still, I would call them and ask very specific questions about availability and fitment. Keep in mind too that the console is quite different in 88/89 vs. 90/91, so those pieces need to be ordered in the correct model year or they will not work.

I do want to be clear, I have no beef with Car Motorsports. Chad over there was quite helpful, and everything I have ordered from them was of very good quality (especially the embroidered mats and the replica hood emblem). They are at the mercy of their supplier for the formed replacement carpet, so I do not blame them for fact that the carpet isn't quite ready for prime time without a fair amount of additional work to get the fit right.

Now, if they are again offering properly molded carpet for the cargo bin, that is great news. I will believe it when I see it, so if anyone orders this, please post pics here as I still have my doubts.

Also, as pointed out none of what is available is the plush pile carpet that was originally installed by the factory. Thus, if you can clean and redye what you have you will be better off not only cost wise, but appearance wise if you want to keep true OE carpet.

Regrettably, mine was too far gone to salvage as the nap was badly worn in spots and there were some very bad stains that would not clean out.

KDirk