1966 Riviera Radiator

Guest madisonight

Guest madisonight

I need some help, I bought a 1966 Riviera good solid all original car, it’s been setting a while and I could not get it to run cool, kept overheating, decided to pull motor and go through, good thing I did, anyway brought my radiator in to be cleaned out and they said it needed a new core. I like to keep the car all original; it would cost me $285 to have a new core put in.

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>

Does anyone have a good used radiator out there?

<o:p></o:p>

I hate to buy an aftermarket radiator, Aluminum core plastic tanks, adapters to make you transmission cooler lines fit, yuck.

Our should I just rescore this one?

I like to show it later, will I get deducted points for a radiator that’s not original?

Any help on this subject would be appreciated.

That is a great price for a recore-leaves me suspect of the number of rows in the new core. Recoring in my area (Chicago) is a $400 affair.

Jason offers good advice for a fresh engine. I have found it an excellent rule of thumb to install a fresh radiator with any engine rebuild. In your situation GO NEW.

For what it is worth, any full size `66 donor will work, they all took the same radiator. AC rads have a curved neck at the top, non-AC have a straight neck. Good luck,

Tom Mooney

Guest madisonight

Thanks for all you help, I’m going to get it recorded, He assured me it has the same amount of cores and would even put my original tags back on.

• 4 months later...
Guest rdavila

I have the original radiator and other parts for a 1966 Riviera 2 Door hard top. I pulled out the parts and sold the body. let me know if you still need it.

Guest madisonight

Thanks, but I had mine recored already. He did an excelent job, even resolderd the original tags back on.