Carburetors-Fuel pumps

So far I have been lucky selling them a few at a time,several"Big" buyers wanted them for about what they would bring over the scale.I have just a few 4 bbl circa 53-56 $50 ea two bbl$35 ea.These would be carburetors with the Dichromate in good condition.I have a pair for a 41 super with 60 years of dirt on them(off my own car), 40 k miles on them ,Carter.

Guess I'll have to pass these by then.....generally (and this is 20 years of my dad being in the old car parts business talking.....) when you buy parts from vendors to sell (unless your somebody like Kanters who will sell them for 2 or 3 times the going rate of small vendors...), you generally pay only 10% of the going price over the counter......I suggest you might want to contact those bigger houses you mentioned and sell to them. Guess I was hoping you had a slightly bigger stock and would sell them per the vendor to vendor going rate...... good luck to you

Carb Guy ~ You get them at that price from the retarded grandchildren who just inherited their grandfather's auto parts store that has been closed up for 30 years. rolleyes.gif" border="0

Mmm...obviously some rookies here. Look, no offense intended, but as I understood, you were selling some (couple of dozen)in quantity. Rule of thumb, from vendor to vendor for that amount of parts, is that generally, a good (fair to both) is 10% of the going vendor to customer price. Other parts I have bought vendor to vendor previously, the parts were at that price - my dad has been selling fuel pumps, tune up kits, electric parts, etc. for 20 years - and that is the rule of thumb. If you want to make a killing on them, and you opt to NOT follow the rule of thumb pricing - they are your parts, sell them to who and for what you can get them for. My earlier suggestion that if you want mucho bucks, and want a one sided deal - sell to the big places. Though why you even hestitated to sell them at that price, to the other big vendor, is beyond me. Vendors are in business to make money - I am in that same situation with selling parts - I don't plan on just giving them away - but I believe in being fair too. One could make an assumption about the ongoing increasing costs of the hobby due to increasing costs of parts (mmm, imagine that.....)of vendors ? Perhaps you wanted to give us small vendors a break and let us have them for that same big price ? Truthfully, I have seen them go for the price you quoted from vendor to buyer (depending on condition)...so I believe I am correct in that you are searching for a killing....so please do the rest of us a favor and SELL to the big guys like Kanter's.....<P>[ 11-12-2001: Message edited by: BuickNut ]<P>[ 11-12-2001: Message edited by: BuickNut ]<p>[ 11-12-2001: Message edited by: BuickNut ]

Newcomer(20 years experience),how many do you want to sell me for a dime on the dollar? Are you the guy,by any chance,who sells each item at a loss and makes it up by VOLUME?

Talk about poor business practices....I would be rather foolish to buy them from you for $50 apiece, and try to sell them for $50-$70 apiece on EBAY or Hemmings. How would I make up for shipping (carbs are appx $7-$10 apiece to ship..maybe $3-$5 in bulk). Course that would do you all sorts of good - but me, or the poor fool who might pay out the posterior if I were to jack MY price up to make up for your price ? I'd never move them to make a profit. Again, classic example here of why the hobby has become so expensive. And in the 20 yrs my dad has been in business and advertising through Hemmings - he has always found the rule of thumb in selling vendor to vendor to be true ......yes, 10 cents on the dollar. Heck, for NEW parts through parts stores, they pay 25 cents on the dollar. I work for a Tier 1 Auto Supplier to the big 2 and little one....and thats 25 cents on the dollar too. Try walking into a parts store and telling the buyer that you have a couple of dozen carbs to sell him for $35-$50 a piece.....I can hear the laughing now. I even worked in the furniture industry - and we only got 25 cents on the dollar from the dealers. Consequesntly, for older parts, that don't move as quickly as new parts, I consider the 10 cents on the dollar rule justified....and I didn't make up that rule....its generally the going rate - unless of course you have parts for Pierce Arrows, or Mercedes, or the like. Again, you must deal a lot with Kanters. Sour grapes on my part for not getting the price I wanted? Heck no...plenty of parts out there for my price. Upset because someone is spiking prices again ? Heck yeah. Upset because a rookie is passing himself off as a seasoned vendor ? Heck yeah.

H if you want one or more 4 bbl carbs,I still have a half dozen or more.The other guy sells for ten cents on the dollar,but I have not found it necessary to undercut others so badly.I have only been ,full-time in the car business for nearly 62 years,

Ok Mr. buick714..so you took a shot with my back turned....are you so "challanged" to think as a vendor, I am going to buy them for the over the counter price, pay shipping, and sell them for the over the counter price, thus at a loss ? Yeah...that would be real smart on my part as a vendor. Understand I was talking as a V-E-N-D-O-R TO V-E-N-D-O-R price for a bulk of the items...not wanting to buy them singularly for cars I wish to put them on. You offered them as a "lot" of a couple dozen.... Yes, $50 is fair if I were to buy ONE for myself...but not at bulk prices (...ok...mouth the words slowly...). Go to any parts auction, any vendor in Hemmings selling out his inventory of any quantity, ANYWHERE, even swap meets, and offer to buy parts from another vendor in bulk, and you generally pay $0.10 on the dollar for them. It takes too long to sell them, no matter how hot the product or part, to pay anymore for them in bulk - they sit on the shelf for quite a long time before they're sold.<P>Look, I'm uspset not because I can't get a reasonable price VENDOR TO VENDOR FOR A BULK LOT (how many times do I have to say that ??), but because here is a classic example of someone wanting to make a killing, going against pricing rules of thumb...and driving the cost of parts up. I have a lot of cars on que for restoration...and I don't like the fact it has become an INVESTIMENT and not a HOBBY anymore...that's why I am making such a fuss about this. Like I said...go into any parts store and tell him you have a bulk of carbs to sell for $50 a piece and hear the laughing from the buyer. And you who bought the carb from him for $50...if he sells them to another vendor for $50 apeice....mmmmmm, think you can get that same carb for $50 ? I think not....think maybe the price might go up ? Tell you what, you hold off on buying the carb from him, wait until I buy the lot, I jack the price up to $75, and buy them from me !..now wouldn't THAT make financial sense for the both of us ? Yep, I chose not to buy from him...my choice, his carbs, etc. Yes, he'll sell them, on a singular basis...but not as a "lot"...unless its to Kanters. Do you notice anybody else standing in line on this thread to buy the carbs...on a BULK basis, at that price ? If he wasn't interested in selling to vendors, at some type of bulk discount, why put in his initial message "dealers welcome" ? I offered to quit my whining about this.....until there were some pot shots taken.<P>[ 11-21-2001: Message edited by: BuickNut ]<P>[ 11-21-2001: Message edited by: BuickNut ]<p>[ 11-21-2001: Message edited by: BuickNut ]

The aluminum four barrels (AFB s ) sold like hot cakes,only have one left and it may not be Buick.I can send you the number to see if it is one you can use.Still have several Rochesters about that vintage,and they dont boil like the Carter"Teakettles"

• 2 weeks later...

Nr Riviera,I dont have a 61 AFB,honestly they sell like hotcakes! I do have another Rochester 7019040,which is a 61 big series car.I know I will get flack from this,but Carter AFB s boil real bad (when you shut the engine off),and I much prefer Rochester myself

Who desigated Buick Nut the Guru of Buick Parts. I feel that $35 and $55 is a good price for carburetors. I'd like to buy a Carter Carb for my 1965 Riviera and will pay $55 if it is in good condition. ready to use. any VENDORS out there that can supply me only ONE carb??????????

Carbuff2, I think you read through Buick Nuts reply to fast. What I got out of it was that $55.00 for a single carb. was a good price but $55.00 each for a large lot was more than he was willing to pay. I have to agree that if your are a dealer and are going to buy a large lot for resale, you have to buy them less than the going price for only one piece.

Carbuff....Mr Rawlings has my point ! The prices being charged PER CUSTOMER on a singular basis are very fair...and I applaud him for selling them for that price. However, if he is going to invite vendors in on the deal - one does with assuming to sell a LARGE number of them at a discounted rate. How long do you think you would get the price you got, if vendors bought their stock for those singular prices, for the whole lot. No vendor in his right mind would buy a couple of dozen carbs for $35-$50 A PIECE, pay gobs for shipping, and then turn around and sell them for $35-$50 to their customers. Try a little economic sense here.....and maybe some basic horse sense too. If he didn't want to sell to vendors for the going vendor to vendor rate - why say that vendors were welcome ? His carbs...he can do with them as he pleases, but he shouldn't get upset when a vendor got upset with the ridiculous price he was asking for the entire lot. I notice there were not other vendors jumping in trying to get in on his "sweet" deal for the entire couple dozen he had for sale......