1931 Dodge Brother trip/visit

keiser31

While in Casa Grande (staying with friends)did some hiking in the mountains east of there. Checked weather on internet-3 mornings in a row ,it was warmer at home !! Left Casa Grande on Feb 6th after the weather warmed up. Very short 79 mile run to Tucson through some very beautiful Cactus country.Camped amongst cactus of many different varieties and it was warm! :) Sat in the sun reading a book --first time we really relaxed in the PM since leaving home. Dressed in our period clothes and went to the Old Tucson Studios for pictures.( Some tourists thought we worked there!) Our next stop is at Panhandle ,Texas, but when we phoned there yesterday,they suggested we wait a couple days as they are expecting a snow storm on Tues.:(

Great photos! Hope they've been missing all this cold weather the rest of us have been getting! BTW, I like how the window trim is the same color as the main body...I think I've seen the Victory 6 small panels below the window sills done this way, but was a DA 6 ever painted this way?

Victory sixes had some wild color schemes Bob, alot of that info is avail in John Bittence CD, I dont think ( pretty sure ) that DA never did this and dont know why except the hassle I guess. I think they maybe did that to boost poor sales as the first series of Victorys had alot of problems but that is just a wag. Maybe someone can clarify if I am wrong

Guest Backyardmechanic

Looking in the Dodge Story page 66 lower right hand picture show one painted different color window trim.

Vern

366 miles today with a heavy tail wind. 60mph for a good part of the way from Tucson to Las Cruces,NM --from rocky terrain to dust storms .Some say that Sask. is flat & boring, but for the most part today it was all rock,desert & dust!

The most interesting thing we saw today was a guy riding a Texas Long-horn downtown Las Cruces!( I'm sure we've seen everything now !!):cool:

I think we are at our most southerly point; will be heading north now back into cold,snowy weather.:( We were hoping we'd have nicer weather for a while yet but with unusual record breaking weather it probably won't happen.

I need to buy that book, The Dodge Story..I have seen a couple of DAs with the window trim painted lower body color, but didn't know if they did that originally.

I hope Glen and Edna missed that snow and ice that passed thru Texas! If you didn't there are some neat old hot spring motels in Truth or Consequences, NM to wait it out

I think I originally misunderstood what you posted Bob, for some reason I was thinking about the interior door trim portion, It may be that you are right, I have the color schedules and will look and see what I can find in the next day or so, hope I havent misled

Ok I guess I was mistaken, just a quick glance is all it took, clearly at least in the beginning of DA series there were an upper and a lower color offered with of course a seperate mldg color. Quicly glancing thru all this and it would appear that it was only offered on certain models. MY Victoria for instance was on one color top and bottom. It all depends on your code number. Hope this helped

You can get the code # of off your original build card which you can order fron Chrysler, If you need that contact info let me know, once you have that code # we can decipher it no problem to tell you the original color/colors and all sorts of other usefull info.

We haven't had internet access for the last few days, but we are travelling fine.Went through some colder, snowy weather, but we are in Ada, Ok now for a few days and it's much warmer here.:) Will fill in more details later.

Day -Feb 9th,2011 : Travelled in New Mexico past the White sands thru small mountains & against the wind--slow day 45-50mph.Crossed into Texas.To cold to stay in the tent trailer. After sun went down, was even getting cold in car.

Day-Feb 10, Record low temp in Amarillo,TX -6F .Car turned over very slow but started, with the exhaust making it look like it was on fire ! Went west of Amarillo on Rt 66 & took pictures of the Cadillacs buried in the sand head first.

Also took picture of the Big Texan where you can order a 72oz steak & eat it along with the meal in 1 hr, it is free!!:eek: Apparantly about 50 poeple have done it over the years.

Feb 11th Panhandle,TX to Chickasha,OK 223 miles. Another 60mph day because of a nice tail wind. Drove along the old Rt66 for a ways and took pictures of some of the old service stations that had been restored. Also one that has fallen to ruins along with so many other old buildings along the route.

Feb 13th Chickasha to Ada, OK 137 miles , got there by 11am . Visiting former neighbors who have moved to a farm near Ada. Had a great visit.

Changed oil & greased the car.Checked all the fluid levels,adding to the OD and a couple oz. to the tran.Turned the grease cap in on the dist.& checked the point gap--looks OK.

Feb 16th Ada to Wichita,KA 300 miles.Lucky to have another tail wind. Went from cattle country to the irrigated fields of Kansas.Had to pay $2.00 at the toll booth after driving on the Turnpike.

The weather has been really nice the last few days--went to 75F today(17th), :) 80* warmer than last week!!

I have been to that restored Phillips 66 station! Nice to see a picture of it again. We did a trip about 10 years ago backtracking on Route 66 from west to east.

Did you make that trip in an old Dodge?

Feb 18th: 436 mi.from Wichita to Sioux City,IA .Took pictures of the car beside an overhead gas pump in Wichita.(neighbor of the folks we were staying with.) He has a nice collection of pumps & signs --gave me a Phillips 66 sign.

Fortunate to have a tail wind again.

Feb 19th: 287 Mi from Sioux City to Waconia, MN.(Near Minneapolis.)Old stomping grounds from when Glen raced snowmobiles from Winnipeg to St.Paul.

Head & cross wind most of the way.Only about 50mph. Noticed we had a low tire (right back) when we stopped to take a picture at the MN. border. Pulled into the border town behind some trees and a snowbank to get out of the wind & changed the tire.

We even got to pass a car,:) but realized he only let us by to get a better look at our car, because then he passed us right away.

The further north we got the more snow there was, but we were fortunate to get to our destination before the next big snowstorm hit that was forecast.

We are staying with folks we met when they stayed at our B&B on their way to Alaska. A very nice place to be while we wait out the snowstorm!:)

Feb 22nd,2011 608 miles from Waconia to Kenmare, N.Dakota. Travelling at 75mph, but not in the Dodge. Left the Dodge in Waconia safely tucked away in a garage with the trailer now sitting in a snowbank.

We rented a Nissan-Versa (compact car) & surprised to be only getting 26mpg!:( That's only twice as much as we were getting with the old Dodge pulling a trailer!

We left the car there as we got word that Glen's Dad is gravely ill & we felt we needed to get home as quickly as possible with the weather conditions that came up.

The total with the 31 is now 7075 mi. since we left home with the car & have travelled in 3 provinces & 12 states.

Most asked questions during our travels up to as many as 10 times a day :

-- Where are you from? Then after explaining where Saskatchewan is the next question was" You didn't drive all the way down here,did you?"

-- "What kind of motor do you have in there?"

--"How fast do you drive?"

--" How many miles to the gal. do you get?"

This is probably the last entry we will make for now.