Peter and DF Members: Do we need this?

1937hd45

Peter, Before I ask this question I want to thank you for running this website. I don't know how this all works behind the scenes, and maybe there is more work than I'm aware of. My question is about all the websites that members give out in answers to questions. Some of these sites are pure gems and I add them to my favorites, but others get lost and forgotten. Would it be possable to setup a link list? What to my fellow DF members think?

A brilliant idea whose time has certainly come. I've often wondered about the lack of links to websites pertaining to our interests such as PreWarCar, certainly the best I've yet seen although there are many, many others, what do you guys think? smile.gif" border="0smile.gif" border="0

Many links are currently available on this site. See the left side of this screen. Other links are available on the home page. I agree the PreWarCar is outstanding and it is on my favorite list. There are probably hundreds of possible sites out there and it would be impractical to link to all of them. Thus, who decides which ones deserve links and which ones do not? Many of those sites are marque specific or even marque and year specific and while of interest to some have no interest to others. 1937, your "question" is very broad. Can you be more specific?<p>[ 01-16-2002: Message edited by: ronbarn ]

The concept of a "links" page is sound, but the execution isn't. There are literally 1,000s of auto-related websites. Just see Hemmings as an example. <P>Maintaining the validity of the URLs over a time also becomes a problem.<P>Peter

Ron, isn't the AACA broad in and of itself? (but yes I do know what you meant...)<P>Well I wrote a lengthy response as I usually do and decided to go with the short answer (well okay less long answer).<P>Lists of links are wonderful. Organizing and maintaining them on the other hand is time and resource consuming. To do a 'good' job and have them useful, someone needs to review the links to see that they are appropriate. Because of the volumes of links they will need to be categorized. Then once they exist they will have to routinely be checked to see if they still exist. Also how are they found to begin with? Automated link sniffers? Suggested links? Manual searches? No matter how it is done, it means work for someone.<P>As valuable as I think a properly maintained list could be, I am uncertain that the effort involved warrants the task. There are many sites of 'lists' out there and many individuals maintain them. Most are marquee specific.<P>Minimally I feel that if this were undertaken, it should require the long term commitment of those eager to see it, to help support and maintain it. To keep new links coming in, old links fresh, and re-review the links regularly to confirm categorizations and content.<P>All of that said, it still comes down to Peter does a fantastic job with these sites. Does he have the time to take on, create and manage even the server side portion of such a task? Even with the administration spread out amongst its ranks, it would be yet another in a growing list of tasks for him.<P>Ultimately the question is, does the benefit warrant the strain on the resources? Something I personally don't know the universal answer to.<P>Rich

Ronbarn, One of your posts a while back got me thinking about the link list. Please understand I don't know a thing about how all the computer stuff works, some of the terms are also unknown to me. When you asked for a source of slotted head screws you had an answer instantly, and I added that supplier to my favorites list, because I could use the info. If someone askes the same question six months or a year from now, wouldn't a link list for "Hardware Suppliers" speed up their search?

1937hd45,<P>Like i said, your concept is a sound one, but in execution is basically impossible for a small site like the aaca to provide a quality links page. <P>If I want to find something on the internet I typically goto a large search engine: Yahoo, MSN, Google, etc. They have the resources to keep a search engine and category system that is worth using. I can't even begin to produce anything remotely as usable... so why try?<P>FYI - here is a link to all the Yahoo's list of car clubs:<P><A HREF="http://dir.yahoo.com/Recreation/Automotive/Clubs_and_Organizations/" TARGET=_blank>Car Clubs and Organizations</A>

1937 - good question re the previous thread about oval headed slot screws. In fact, there are several subjects, or questions if you prefer, that appear frequently as new members join the DF. The DFers simply respond with an answer, even if it is repetitive from a previous thread. The sense of personal participation and getting a response to the query is very important. Providing a link, in addition to being labor intensive, does not provide the personal touch. <P>Like you I am building my own links with my "Favorites" utility. Those are the sites that match my personal preferrence and I think that trying to meet all readers preferrences would be impossible. As Peter said, that is what search engines are for. We will continue to link with some of the broader sites. smile.gif" border="0

1937: One thing about DF'ers here that make posts about a certain supplier, or, website, is "they had an experience with the website". <P>This could be negative (which would save you time/money, or, postitive to save you time/money), whatever the case may be.<P>I look at it as sort of a filtering affect, of which, is a short cut and benefit to all of us.<P>Regards, Peter J.<p>[ 01-16-2002: Message edited by: Peter J Heizmann ]