Some years ago a good friend gave me about 175 copies of "Cars & Parts" magazine. These copies range from 1969 to 1982 with most being in the 70's and 80's. I have studied all of them and read quite a few of the articles; however, now I need to clear the shelves. Are these worth anything and/or is there a want for them out there?

post-34905-143138368549_thumb.jpg

Ok, this might surprise some here but I'd not seen or read a Cars & Parts magazine. That being said does this magazine focus on a different make/model in each issue? What I'm driving at are there issues that cover topics that I would find of interest with respect to my '31 Dodge DG 8 Rumble Seat Coupe? Don't know unless I ask. Scott...

I loved Cars & Parts, and subscribed to it from 1978 (when I was buying it with student loan money) until 2006.

It's hard to sell these as lots because most people who want them only want a one or a few to complete a collection. The early issues with red covers sell on eBay for about $3-5 each with some frequency. You might sell complete years in these for a good price, but it will be less than selling them individually. Incomplete/mismatched year lots almost never sell. The newer issues from the last 10 years or so rarely sell at all. The ones from the 1980s and 1990s can sell for around $2-3 each, but the newer they are the harder they are to sell.

Just be sure to list what cars are featured in each magazine to help sell them.

We just attended a monthly winter swap meet where they traditionally put out a table of free reading materials, lots of old C&P, I did not take as I already have the "good years" but some went. I am surprised they eBay for that much but I suppose what is a couple bucks to fill some holes if you do have a complete collection.

The older issues beat most publications if you are looking for comprehensive reading on pre-war cars.

Guest Timthemailman

One thing to keep in mind is condition,when selling paper goods it's everything. Almost perfect will bring good money on very few magazines, like the first issue of Playboy w/ M.Monroe. If the cover is good but the spine is damaged it will bring less. If they've been read alot it's ok if not marked on,have coffee spill stains or dogeared pages.

If covers hold something collectable or have article like 57'Chevy and a pic of one on the cover,they would be worth a little more to the guy that has a 57'Chevy, I would think especialy if it were a show car (don't ya get bonus points if ya have the paperwork,build sheet.tool kit etc.? Would think more points for a mag. issue like that.) Still doubt one in fair to good condition would bring more than 5 bucks & postage. Like Dave said too, getting rid of big lots are harder to do. Good luck, they are probably still worth reading.

Edited by Timthemailman (see edit history)

• 6 months later...

Well, you won't have Cars & Parts Magazine to kick around anymore! When I picked up my copy at the grocery store, there was a page inserted beneath the plastic. It stated that this would be their last printed magazine and they could only be seen on the internet from now on! Ditto for Deals On Wheels. That means Autobuy is next! If this keeps up, bye, bye Post Office!

Count me as one who cannot dispose of my car mags. I've got plastic tubs and bags full of Cars & Parts, Collectible Automobile, Motor Trend, Car Life, Mechanix Illustrated (love Uncle Tom McCahill) and assorted others that were out for a few years and then folded. I always said I'd re-read everything when I retired but don't know if I'll ever get around to them. My Cars & Parts go back to the 70's, my Motor Trends to the early 60's with the exception of the November (?) 1956 new 1957 car issue. There's a road test of a '57 Fairlane, '57 Bel Air and '57 Belvedere. What a kick to read how good they all handled!

Guest 4 bufords

i am so upset that cars and parts folded and was replaced by some other magazine which i wont spend my money on. just my opinion,4 bufords from ct