shock nut removeall

Joseph44

Hi Everyone: I need an opinion I'm trying to remove front shocks would it be a good idea to drill between the threaded extension and the nut to get the shock off? The reason for the question I live in a retirement comm. I tried everything but haveing someone else burn them off I would much rather do the job myself ( keeps me active ) like restoring. Any opinions would be greatly appreciated. Have a great day!!

Guest Silverghost

There is a tool called a "NUT CRACKER" or "NUT SPLITTER" that will split, or slice the nut on a bolt, or threaded shaft so the nut can easily be removed.

OR~

I usually use a deep socket and an impact wrench~

Sears Craftsman, and any good auto store will carry the "Nut Cracker" ~

I have several !

Good Luck !

Thanks for the responces guys I have tried 2 nut crackers seem to slide off the nut, tried a socket shock shaft turns tried holding shaft with vise grip no good. I'm thinking if I pean a spot between the threaded shaft and nut I should be able to drill the nut off starting small bit

and work up. The shock is on a 1983 buick prk ave the upper control arm gives me the problem meaning room. Any thoughts? Thanks all and have a great day!!

Guest Silverghost

I know you want to do this yourself~ That's half the fun~

But a good garage repair shop with an air impact wrench could vibrate these nuts off for you in a few seconds each !

Does the top of the shock shaft rod not have two flats or a hex for a small wrench to help hold the shaft from also turning along with that nut ?

I assume you mean the type of shock where the end of the shaft is threaded.

Years ago I worked with a mechanic who made a special tool for this job. It was a socket with a steel bar welded on. He would fit the socket over the nut and bend it back and forth a few times until the shaft broke off.

The nuts are hard to remove because the shaft keeps turning. There is a little flat area at the top but it is no use once the nuts have been on for a while.

The best thing I can suggest is to try and get a couple of pairs of vice grips on the shaft down below and either unscrew the nut or snap the end off the shaft. It is not easy to get the vice grips on, you have to jack the car up and slip them between the coils of the spring. If you do this be sure to support the wheel, when you break the shock there is nothing to hold the wheel up.

There is a Lisle (Lysle) brand tool called a shock wrench which consists of an open socket which fits over the shock nut with an square opening in the top side allowing a square driver to be fitted to hold the shaft. It's sorta difficult to explain but any big auto parts store should be able get that tool for you. Once you have it, you'll wonder how you did without it. Joe

• 5 weeks later...