window defroster

mastertech

Guest Jim_Edwards
I know what it is but when was it used? Its a aftermarket defroster still works missing one wire which can be fixed and missing suction cups the ones that are there a re rubber and very hard. I box but it got damaged when my basement flooded.

Those things were marketed by J.C. Whitney, and probably others, back in the mid 1950s and into the mid 1960s as I best recall. The application touted was rear window de-fogger. Strangely, I have no recollection of actually seeing one of those appliances installed in any car by anyone.

Like Shop Rat, I can find no company with the name of Zaigler being operative any where in the U.S. today. Lots of folks with that surname in Massachusetts where the company was located but that's where the trail seems to end.

Jim

Lookie what I found with another search. :D It is called a Clean Frost Sleetchaser.

Sleetchaser The Zaiger Corp Clean Frost Windshield E - eBay (item 380281316799 end time Nov-20-10 08:54:00 PST)

After reading the instructions on the box it was actually placed in front of the driver on the inside of the winshield. It appears that the wires rotate in to contact the glass to clear it. Very interesting item. The drawing on the box looks like it was used even earlier than maybe the fifties.

Edited by Shop Rat
More info. (see edit history)

Guest Jim_Edwards
Lookie what I found with another search. :D It is called a Clean Frost Sleetchaser.

Sleetchaser The Zaiger Corp Clean Frost Windshield E - eBay (item 380281316799 end time Nov-20-10 08:54:00 PST)

After reading the instructions on the box it was actually placed in front of the driver on the inside of the winshield. It appears that the wires rotate in to contact the glass to clear it. Very interesting item. The drawing on the box looks like it was used even earlier than maybe the fifties.

Great sleuth work!

That one is certainly pre 1950s from the note on the box indicating 6V battery requirement. Also the illustration on the box would appear to be pre WW II.

Can you imagine peering through that small of clear window area in rush hour traffic today?

Jim

Back in Jersey, right after WWII my dad used one on the windshield of his Willys Americar, and kept it for use on the 1935 Chevrolet 2-door. I believe he let it go with the Chevy when he bought the well-used 1935 Packard.

• 1 year later...
Guest backach

I also have a sleetchaser in excellent condition but without the box. I do however have the instruction section of the box cut out and saved in a vacuum seal bag. I'm thrilled to hear how old it may be because I don't think it was ever used. Fell free to e-mail if you have any other info! (tom_bartz59@live.com)

I bought one at a swap meet, it was nos. I put it in the garage and forgot about it until now! It is still in the box with all the paperwork. I'll have to get it out and look at it now. Also have two gasoline heaters, one still in the box and a salesman sample that is a special case with a small gas tank. Funny how much "stuff" we pick up and had to have at the time--but never use.

Guest cben09

Don't go there,,,,

its all comming back,,

sack of Weed chains in back

w/the patch links that close when ya drive over em,,,,,sometimes,,haha

the chain titners that keep the chain from beating holes in the fenders,,

OH JOY,,,

Vision blurrs at 30mph,,,from chain viberation,,

The new cars,,,,cant open the windshield,,,so these electric things would help,,??

they also made a candle holder w/rubber cup for windshield,,guarenteed not to crack the glass,,,

jump around when it fell on long coat,,

For fun,,,try to sell one of these to a 70yo man for nostalia,,memories,,

prepare to duck,,

Ben

oh if ya roll the windows down its less likely to frost up

at temp -10f,,,,haha,,,in southern Maine,,,

does any of this make sense to you folks that wernt there,,,

There was a baggie to tie over the heater ,w/ a slinky type cloth hose to go to a braket w/ 2 rubber cups on windshield,,,aim left or rt,,,

The heater was a 12" sq radiator that mounted on the firewall w/fan behind,,

Heaters for the rear were just short of nonexistant,,,,,

I bought a racoon coat for $35 bucks,//what the guy had paid in 1912,,,this was 1951,,

Memories,,,,,Aaahh,,Ben

And the newer cars had safety glass,,

You guys dont remember the generation that sufferd mustard gas,in the war,,or that had gone through a plate glass windshield,,accident,,

squeezing glass out of their face 20 years later,,,

memories,,,,

Edited by cben09 (see edit history)

Guest Al Brass

I have a 1945 packed "de-icer" on my Willys MB jeep. It looks very similar to the one shown here and I bought it NOS off e-Bay a couple of years ago. It is fine to drive with, I've done thousands of miles looking through it and it works just fine.

Regards

Al

Guest Bob Call

I remember my uncle having one of these de-icers he used on his 35 Ford from 47 thru 50 when he traded up to as 47 Mercury that had a decent defroster.