Oldsmobile Cutlass Aluminum Rallye Wheels

Guest TwoDoorBuickMan

Guest TwoDoorBuickMan

Does anyone know the story on the Aluminum Rallye wheels produced for Oldsmobile by Enkei during the mid to late 80s? I have seen one wheel advertised on eBay for several months. The price is high and it has not gone anywhere. I know they are fairly rare. I have looked at a lot of Cutlass's and have only seen 2 sets. Are they a desired item?

Does anyone know the story on the Aluminum Rallye wheels produced for Oldsmobile by Enkei during the mid to late 80s? I have seen one wheel advertised on eBay for several months. The price is high and it has not gone anywhere. I know they are fairly rare. I have looked at a lot of Cutlass's and have only seen 2 sets. Are they a desired item?

A photo would help. Are you talking about the five hole aluminum wheels used on the 1979/1980 RWD Cutlass, or the ones used on the later FWD Cutlass Supreme?

The only RWD aluminum wheel used on the Cutlass line was this one, and it only came in 14 x 6:

1979_HurstOlds_3.jpg

By the way, "Rallye wheel" is a Chevy term. Us Olds guys are sensitive to that. ;)

Guest TwoDoorBuickMan

Sorry for using the wrong term. It came out of my Cutlass owner's manual. I have attached a picture. The RPO code is N78.

post-53806-143138350671_thumb.jpg

By the way, "Rallye wheel" is a Chevy term. Us Olds guys are sensitive to that. ;)

Actually the Chevy Rally wheel came first in the 67 Corvette, and in the same year later on Chevelle. 1965-66 disc brake Corvette has a new type of wheel to clear calipers, but still uses a full wheel cover and is not considered a rally wheel.

Pontiac has a Rally wheel (Rally 1) from 1965-1968 for Tempest-LeMans-GTO and a Rally 2 wheel from 1967-to at least 1981. So I guess Olds guys can blame it on Pontiac for the term. I'm a Pontiac-Olds guy so it dosen't matter as long as somebody beat Chevy.

Don

Guest TwoDoorBuickMan

These are factory wheels that came on a 1987 rear wheel drive Cutlass Salon. I do know they were made by Enkie. I saw a set of them on a Cutlass several years back and told the owner he was mistaken about them being Oldsmobile wheels. Looks like he was right.

When I worked for the Olds dealer back in '88, we got in a Cutlass Supreme Classic with these wheels. It was white with a maroon landau top, and a maroon bucket seat interior. What a sharp looking car. I couldn't afford it at the time. It was sold to a local doctor. I often said I would buy that car if it were traded. A few years later it was, with hardly any mileage. I didn't even have a chance. It was sold the same night it was traded. And I've never seen it since.

Most of the Cutlasses we got in during those years either had the wire wheel covers, or standard wheel covers. Some had the Super Stocks. I think this is the only one we ever got that had these aluminum wheels. I think they were a take off of the crosslace aluminum wheels that were becoming popular on the Toronados, 88s, 98s and Cutlass Cieras.

As a side note, we had an '87 Supreme coupe in that funny salmon color. It was stolen from out lot. Twice. We finally had to to resort to putting it in the showroom to keep it safe.

Paul

• 2 months later...

My dad's 87 Cutlass has those wheels, definitely a factory item cause I ordered the car myself back then. He let me order the car the way I wanted cause I couldn't convince him to order the Buick Regal T Type with turbo that I really wanted (but that's another story)!!

• 5 months later...
Guest starfire

I had those wheels on my '87 Cutlass Salon. They looked fantastic on that car, IMO. They were a PITA to clean though with all of those little holes, but when they were clean.... Man did they look nice.