Rear End Done

Guest daytonreatta

Guest daytonreatta

Finally got done with the rear upgrades. Tinted the back and side glass. Tinted the tail light bar. Replaced the muffler with one for a Camaro and added the welded chrome tips. Hope I don't end up on the "Goofy Things Done By Goofy People" thread.

post-69377-143138340327_thumb.jpg

post-69377-143138340329_thumb.jpg

WOW! It looks much better. I didn't realize a cloudy taillight distracted from the looks of a black car so much. Tinting the taillight on that car really made a difference. Changing the wheels made a big difference too.

Did you tint the inside of the taillight lens or the outside? Give us details about how you did it.

Where did you get the exhaust tips. Are they aftermarket or off anther type of vehicle?

Guest daytonreatta

First I put a lot of effort into restoring the taillight lens, and it looked much better, but I took a gamble on the tinting and it paid off. I had already wet sanded the lens so first I tried a can of VHT Nightshade, and that looked ok from distance but was still a bit dull and not professional looking. So I took some advice I saw online and took it to a friends shop, pulled the bar off and he stripped and painted it with a few coats of tinted clearcoat. We also pulled the door panels and replaced the door handles with black ones.

Looks really good, especially with your car being black.

You've got water in your passenger side reflector though. Next time you pull the tail light assembly make a couple tiny holes (Dremel with tiny drill bit works great for this) on the bottom of the reflectors where the back plate meets the red plastic and the reflectors will stay "empty".

Guest daytonreatta

Thanks, I hadn't noticed that. I had just washed it but there is no water in it now. I will need to pay attention to that on the next wash. How does it get in there to start with?

Guest daytonreatta

The place I purchased them from, Xtreme Auto here in Dayton lists them as a Newtron DT-018. However, I can't find any info on them online. I do see various places selling similar tips with a DT prefix.

Guest Double M

My question is...

How much dimmer are your tailights (day & night)? ...and would this be legal? Here in NY, putting a tint, even over your licence plate is not legal.

Guest daytonreatta

Actually, the tips are stainless double wall rolled. The turn signals and brake lights are still plainly visible, even in bright sunlight. The windows are all tinted at 50%, the max allowed in Ohio. I think yoin NY they have to allow in at least 70% of visible light.