1955 Buick Special, 16,895 original miles

Matt Harwood

1955 Buick Special Model 48 2-door sedan. 16,895 original miles. 264 cubic inch V8, unusual 3-speed manual transmission, Temple Gray over Victoria Blue with gray cloth interior. Three owners from new, in current owner's possession for the last 25 years. Currently located in Canton, Ohio.

Featuring original paint, original interior, and an untouched chassis, this 1955 is a virtual time capsule. If there’s a better driving, smoother, tighter 1955 Buick anywhere, I’d like to drive it because this one is shockingly good. I spent a lot of time with this car, and it is a no-stories piece that runs beautifully. Everything works and it is every bit the car it appears to be in photos. The engine bay has been restored to show condition, and the bumpers were re-chromed in 1997, but otherwise, it is original and beautifully maintained. A really neat car.

That’s factory-applied code EGG Temple Gray over Victoria Blue paint, and it’s amazing for 55 years old. Of course, blemishes happen over the course of 55 years, and this car has a few marks here and there, most notably at the base of the rear window near the trunk opening where there are a few small chips. However, they’re so minor that I would not consider a repaint to be the proper remedy. They're pretty much the only notable flaws I can find on the car, and there are close-up photos of these areas in the link below.

Further evidence of the car’s low mileage claims are the original gas station maintenance stickers on the driver’s door jamb. In 1961, it showed 9505 miles and by 1965 showed just 13,587 miles, so even when it was relatively new, this car was apparently never a daily driver. I don't believe it has ever been driven in the snow, and even the exhaust system is a NORS piece from many years ago, not a reproduction. The torque ball is moist (but not dripping), but why should this be the only Buick with a dry torque ball? :)

Two years ago, a bent pushrod necessitated a valve job, and at the same time the engine bay was completely detailed for show. Hardened valve seats were added to the heads and the entire valvetrain was rebuilt. A fresh carburetor was installed, the generator and starter were rebuilt, the radiator restored, and the wiring harness was replaced with an exact reproduction. It has been driven less than 50 miles since, presents in 100% show-worthy condition, and runs like a brand-new Buick.

The interior is 100% original in every way. Overhead the headliner is intact, undamaged and taut, but is starting to discolor due to age—but like the paint, I would not even consider replacing it. According to my friend MrEarl, the steering wheel is a rare non-flexible piece that was unusual in 1955. The original AM radio works perfectly and the heater and defroster are fully functional. The trunk still carries the original fabric lining, and what may very well be the original spare tire and jack assembly that have never been used. Original manuals and other paperwork are included. The only notable flaw (if you can call it that) is that the passenger's side door panel seems a little thread-bare at the bottom (again, I have photos of this area in the gallery below).

This Buick is ready to compete in preservation classes such as the AACA’s HPOF and the Buick Club of America’s Archival Class.

$25,900/negotiable.

You can see more than 60 additional photos of this car here: Gallery

Call me at 216-849-5263, send an E-mail at toolman8@sbcglobal.net, or PM. I'll get back to you ASAP!

post-31138-143138334492_thumb.jpg

post-31138-143138334499_thumb.jpg

post-31138-143138334504_thumb.jpg

post-31138-143138334509_thumb.jpg

post-31138-143138334513_thumb.jpg

post-31138-143138334518_thumb.jpg

post-31138-143138334522_thumb.jpg

post-31138-143138334527_thumb.jpg

post-31138-143138334531_thumb.jpg

post-31138-143138334535_thumb.jpg

Edited by Matt Harwood
Updated price (see edit history)

Can anyone confirm for me? The sources I'm looking at online don't seem to agree, but it makes sense that the Specials would get the smaller engine. I'd like to make the change to the listing to be sure it's accurate.

Thanks!

Matt,

All Specials came with 264 cu. in. engines. It does have a two barrel carb (not that you can't install a two barrel manifold on a 322). It also has the early fuel pump.

I believe that it is around the 30,000th car built in Flint. Seems like that's pretty early to me, but I'm not the numbers guy around here.

That is the nicest original trunk I've seen. Overall, an awesome car. I can't buy it, though.

Thanks guys. I've updated the ad. I'll see about getting the engine number. It is a very early production '55 and I'm 99% positive that it is the original engine and other components.

If anyone's interested, I know the owner is definitely willing to negotiate on pricing.