3rd Reo ever built?

Juha Paavo Kaita

I'm not following you, Keiser. Where does it say it's a 1906?

It does not say 1906. What I am saying is that REOs were made earlier than 1906, which is what the pictured car looks like to me, so that is why I said maybe it's the "3rd 1906 REO" built, not actually the third REO built from the beginning of REO production. I hope that is more clear of an explanation.

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)

It may be the 3rd one-cylinder REO built in 1905, but the first REOs were two-cylinder cars. In any event, I don't believe the pictured car is known to exist if in fact it is the 3rd one-cylinder built.

We own a very, very early one-cylinder 1905 REO, the 60th, and it is the third oldest known to exist. The other two are no where near as low as 3rd (if memory serves me correctly). I will post this question down in the REO forum, and see if we can get an answer as to the lowest number known to exist.

Edited by West Peterson (see edit history)

For all I know about REOs (not much), I would not be surprised if it was anywhere from a 1905 to 1909. I am merely saying that I find it very hard to believe that the first car pictured is "the 3rd REO ever built".

I showed the photo to James Neal while visiting Lansing about a week ago. He said that the Reo is 1905. I think the photo may well be taken round 1940´s judging the clothing people are wearing. So this Reo may still be rpund somewhere. Perhaps there is somebody in this area of Iowa who can recall something. Many odd things can be found in this world if you look from right place and right time.

Juha

Turku, Finland

It sure has been dark day today - no sunlight - kaamos

Interesting thread about the early Reo. Coincidentally, a late 1905 (per the auction listing) single-cylinder Reo Runabout (engine #1138) is to be offered at auction in California on Nov. 13. It has a nifty and apparently original flip-and-stow rear seat. A later 2-cylinder Reo touring is also to be offered. Both are from the estate of the late Bud Ekins, a well-known car/bike stunt man and early motorcycle collector.

Here's the link to the Bonham's page on the '05:

Lot Details

Looked for serial numbers for Reo in 1905. This is what the record says:

Touring, Model A, 2-cylinder, 1 - 400

Roadster, Model A, 2-cylinder, 1201-1800

Runabout, Model B, 1-cylinder, 701-1200

It looks to me that the Reo on the photo is Runabout. So it seems that the car can´t be the 3rd Reo ever built since based on records the 3rd Reo should be Touring. Anyway it would be nice to learn about this Reos later live and the man who used to own it.

Juha

Turku