First gen dimensions

Guest ahhh65riv

Guest ahhh65riv

Does someone have handy the outside-to-outside tire width and also outside-to-outside body width of a first gen Riv?

I'm trying to spec out a trailer size I can get away with.

Thanks in advance!

Erik

Guest ahhh65riv

Thanks! That is exactly what I needed!

I was also considering just using a car dolly if I was moving chasis around (minus engine and tranny) since weight wouldn't be an issue, but it looks like they won't even fit on one. (unless the late model galvenized kind perhaps?)

Heres the dolly requirements from U-haul website.

Front-wheel or all-wheel drive vehicles must not weigh in excess of 3,450 lbs.

Rear-wheel or four-wheel drive vehicles must not weigh in excess of 3,900 lbs and you must disconnect your driveshaft.

Must have a maximum outside-to-outside tire width of 72"

Must not exceed a body width (at the doors) of 75" Note: body widths over 72" must use late-model U-Haul Tow Dolly (identifiable by silver galvanized color)

Thanks again!

Erik

U-Haul is really particular about what you can put on one of their trailers. Also, be prepared for them to be really picky about what they will allow you to tow their trailer with. I bought my 63 from a guy in rural Arkansas and was planning to tow it to Dallas on a U-Haul tandem axle trailer with a full-size 4WD Chevy Tahoe (with towing package)...thought it should be plenty husky enough for the task...but no dice. At the last minute I had to rent a Dually for the job. Turns out the vehicle weight and hitch type is critical to them. The trailer and 63 Riv was too much weight for the Tahoe. This was an expensive last minute revision to my plans. I set the rental up via the U-Haul national service and the night before I checked in with the actual Arkansas facility where I was to pick up the trailer and was told the bad news. They wouldn't rent me the trailer without a bigger rig to pull it despite what the national center had set up. Make sure you've got all the details down otherwise they may tell you you can't rent from them. Otherwise, lie to them and tell them you are towing a SmartCar and maybe it'll pass the weight/tow vehicle restriction. PRL