How to Bend 5/8" Exhaust Tubing

MochetVelo

Guest Silverghost

Any good plumbing supply has spring benders to slip on the pipe outside to prevent crushing.

I would heat the pipe up to a cherry red color to prevent cracking as stainless steel is prone to crack.

Use a longer & bigger pipe outside to gain more leveage !

Sand packed inside the pipe will also prevent crushing !

Good Luck !

Without knowing exactly where in the tube and what direction you wish to make the bend it's hard to make a suggestion. In any event it's likely to be a problem with the Muffler attached. Your best bet might be to cut the tube off near the muffler, have what you need bent up from new SS tube and TIG weld it to the muffler.............Bob

Thanks for the suggestions. I brought it to a muffler shop today, and the mechanic said it was too small for their bender.

"I can try bending it without messing it up," he said with confidence.

I accepted his offer and sat patiently in the waiting room. After about ten minutes, he appeared with the pipe nicely bent. He had heated it with a torch and just carefully pulled it down manually. The pipe held its shape very well. Ten bucks. That guy just had more guts than I!

Photo shows muffler installed after bending. Heat discoloration could be buffed out, but I'm not worried about it.

Phil

post-52500-143138329845_thumb.jpg