1965-67 PLYMOUTH BELVEDERE!!

Guest Drumlineguy10

Guest Drumlineguy10

I JUST RECENTLY STUMBLED ACROSS THIS BELVEDERE IN SOMEONES BACK YARD JUST RUSTING!!!! I DON'T KNOW MUCH ABOUT THESE CARS AND I REALLY NEED AND COULD USE ANY HELP ON THEM. I'M WANTING TO BUY AND RESTORE BUT IM NOT SURE THE EXACT YEAR OR EDITION OF THIS CAR. ALL I KNOW IS THAT IS SWEET, OLD AND TWO DOORS. THANKS!!!!

Guest Drumlineguy10

Im going back today to take some pictures in the daytime. the ones on my phone weren't too good. the people i talked to said they think it's either a 66 or a 67.

Guest Drumlineguy10

here are the pictures i took today of it. hope they are good enough to help ya'll give me a start. it's in running condition but barely driven. i know it isnt worth much now but as is how much estimated? thank you, if it's easier to call my number is 912 704 3618

post-70709-143138320582_thumb.jpg

post-70709-143138320588_thumb.jpg

post-70709-143138320591_thumb.jpg

post-70709-143138320596_thumb.jpg

Guest Drumlineguy10

very much appreciated. the woman is a friend of my wife's family and she doesn't want it so i'm getting it cheap. i want to fully restore it. where are some good websites or places to get parts for it? i want to keep it as original as possible except for motor. i'm thinking a 429 boss

very much appreciated. the woman is a friend of my wife's family and she doesn't want it so i'm getting it cheap. i want to fully restore it. where are some good websites or places to get parts for it? i want to keep it as original as possible except for motor. i'm thinking a 429 boss

Talk to my friend, Tom Sehloff. He has parts. You may want to go with a 413, 440 or 426 wedge instead of a Ford engine. Tom is at (541)621-9013 or email him at sehloff_mopars@yahoo.com

Guest Drumlineguy10

Thank you. As I'm sure you can tell I'm brand new at all of this. I've always been fascinated in older cars and wanting to work and restore them but I didn't have the know how or resources. I'm still alittle short on both of those but after coming across this find I really want to actually get into it seriously. And this car isn't exactly you're everyday older car, around here everyone has camaro's, nova's, chevelle's and of course mustang's. I want something no one here does and I want to turn heads once I'm done. I have big plans for this car, I'm just hoping this woman will actually sell it to me. Eventually I want to make it a convertable. I'm a rookie at this and I'm going to need alot of help and advice.

A lot of schools such as community colleges give classes on that sort of stuff. I would look into that before tearing into a car and not be able to finish it. Tom is a very knowing guy when it comes to these cars and their parts...even interchanging parts. What engine is in the car? If it is a slant six, you will have to find a different K-frame member that goes under the engine in order to change it to a V8. There are, of course things such as transmission, driveshaft, etc. to consider when changing over.

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)

Guest Drumlineguy10

A community college would actually be good for something like this. I also have so good friends who know their mechanics. I haven't had a chance to look under the hood but this car isn't like something spectacular so probably the slant 6. What is the K-frame? Is that the entirety of the engine well? I'm not that knowledgable lol

A community college would actually be good for something like this. I also have so good friends who know their mechanics. I haven't had a chance to look under the hood but this car isn't like something spectacular so probably the slant 6. What is the K-frame? Is that the entirety of the engine well? I'm not that knowledgable lol

The "K-frame" is the K-shaped piece of the front cross member that cradles the engine and holds the suspension together. It also holds the steering box. It looks like this...

post-37352-1431383207_thumb.jpg

There may be a new kit out there somewhere that will enable you to use the slant six K-frame with some modifications. You will still have to get heavier torsion bars in order to support the weight of the V8.

Guest Drumlineguy10

Ok. I learn something new everyday. Also with changing it over to a bigger motor won't I have to reinforce the whole frame of the car to keep it from snapping in half? Along with stiffer suspension and bigger brake disc?

Ok. I learn something new everyday. Also with changing it over to a bigger motor won't I have to reinforce the whole frame of the car to keep it from snapping in half? Along with stiffer suspension and bigger brake disc?

No. As I stated earlier, I believe the main things to change would be the K-frame and torsion bars.

That body style is one of Plymouth's better looking. I doubt that a 2 dr. hardtop with optional bumber guards has a slant 6 and if it is a 318 they ran real good or put a 340 in it. If you can get this car for sure and you want a nice one I would jump on it. In fact if I could get it I'ld be hooking up the trailer. These cars look good from the side you just have to jack it up a little bit all around and give the drag racer stance. That's my opinion. My first car was a 62 Sport Fury convertible with golden commando power and 3 on the tree.

Good luck,

Jay

Oh...I forgot. There is no actual frame under the car. It is a "unibody" type construction. The "frame" is actually welded to the floor pan from the firewall back. The only actual frame areas are the side rails alongside the engine (which are also welded to the floor pan). The K-member bolts to those with four big bolts. Here is a rather crude way of showing the assemblies with a model of a 1969 Dodge Super Bee which has a similar body construction.

post-37352-143138321366_thumb.jpg

post-37352-143138321376_thumb.jpg

post-37352-143138321384_thumb.jpg

Guest Drumlineguy10

ok so i just made my 5 hr trip home and got on and saw alot of posts. So first to jay, There is no V8 symbol. in fact the only lettering on the vehicle is just the belvedere on the side. And I will not be setting it up as a drag car or anything like that. I'm not really into that stuff and I like the low stock look. And unfortunately I still haven't been able to look under the hood :( I'm definitely jumping on it though. I think it was a sweet find. And I'm trying hard to get it. And to keiser I understood the rough figures you showed me. and switching out the k frame seems easy enough with the right tools.

ok so i just made my 5 hr trip home and got on and saw alot of posts. So first to jay, There is no V8 symbol. in fact the only lettering on the vehicle is just the belvedere on the side. And I will not be setting it up as a drag car or anything like that. I'm not really into that stuff and I like the low stock look. And unfortunately I still haven't been able to look under the hood :( I'm definitely jumping on it though. I think it was a sweet find. And I'm trying hard to get it. And to keiser I understood the rough figures you showed me. and switching out the k frame seems easy enough with the right tools.

Yes, the K-frame comes off fairly easily. Yes, it IS a sweet find.

When I was a teenager any Mopar loving lad would have wanted this body style. There were more 63-64-65 Plymouth and Dodge 2 doors around my hometown area than other brands.

I don't want you to make a drag car, (I have too many post-war cars and they are all as original as possible down to nuts, bolts, and hose clamps) but if you look at photos of these cars back in the day you'll see they had a get up and go kind of look if they sat just a liitle higher than stock but you can let it low and it'll sit like the "Kings" 1964 Daytona 500 winning Plymouth by Petty. Good luck with your car this car is a good car to learn on as things are still more mechanical than computers and electronics and parts should be no problem.

Jay

Guest Drumlineguy10

I appreciate everyone's help with this and getting me information on this car. I've never seen one of these cars and every bit of info helps. I still haven't heard back from the owner about this car but the wife doesn't seem to worried about me not getting it. Keiser I'll definitely be coming to you and tom for help every once in awhile. This will be a life long project once I get started.

I appreciate everyone's help with this and getting me information on this car. I've never seen one of these cars and every bit of info helps. I still haven't heard back from the owner about this car but the wife doesn't seem to worried about me not getting it. Keiser I'll definitely be coming to you and tom for help every once in awhile. This will be a life long project once I get started.

Tom and I know a lot about these cars, so feel free to ask away.

I don't see a "V8" insignia on the front fender.

You won't find a V-8 insignia on the fender of any 64 B body, that was an A body thing. The engine call out was on the hood ornament. Plain for 225 & 318, 361 & up had displacement on the bottom of hood ornament.

The Belvedere that was found looks pretty nice to me. Of cource, I'm biased, I have 6 of them. I'm just a glutton for punishment. LOL

Good luck with the project!!!!! Here's my race car resting in it's new home.

post-30986-143138322758_thumb.jpg

You won't find a V-8 insignia on the fender of any 64 B body, that was an A body thing. The engine call out was on the hood ornament. Plain for 225 & 318, 361 & up had displacement on the bottom of hood ornament.

The Belvedere that was found looks pretty nice to me. Of cource, I'm biased, I have 6 of them. I'm just a glutton for punishment. LOL

Good luck with the project!!!!! Here's my race car resting in it's new home.

Oh yeah....1965 had the V8 emblem on the fender...not '64.

If you get the car don't be too hasty about changing the engine. Any V8 will have plenty of power, that car was built before the smog laws ruined performance.

Even the slant 6 will be halfway decent, and very economical.

Keep in mind, cars of that age required regular tuneups to perform their best. Just part of the regular maintenance of an old car.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest plymouthdoctor

Just a few additional comments about this '64 Plymouth.

There were no V8 emblems on any of the '64 'B' or 'C' body Plymouths.

There were, however, engine 'call outs' located on the bottom of the hood ornament on 'B' body cars running the 361, 383 and 426 engines. I don't recall my '64 Belvedere with a 318 as having the c.i. size anywhere on the car and am certain that the slant six Belvedere's did not have c.i. numbers anywhere other than on the air cleaner.

If yours is a 318 it would be one of the last 'poly head' motors Chrysler built. They were very good motors and were stronger than comparably equipped 283, 327 or 390 engines.

(I beat a lot of Chevy's and Fords running a 318 Belvedere on Woodward Ave. in the '60's.)

They are also fairly stingy on fuel when using the stock Carter 240 cfm 2bbl carb.

The 727 Torque Flite is just about bullet proof and work even better with a shift kit.

Brake fade is common when subject to frequent stops but the drums are large enough to stop you quickly (even without power assist) in normal traffic. Recommend a set of front disc brakes from PST or other aftermarket supplier.

The unibody is strong and the the torsion bar suspension makes it handle and ride like a bigger car. Seat height is perfect and there are no blind spots in this car.

Parts are still available, it is a very easy car to restore and very handsome when restored - you'll never be ashamed to be seen it in.