61 buick skylark questions

Guest Dale Crigger

Guest Dale Crigger

I have a 1961 buick. It looks like a skylark. it was my grandfathers and then my fathers. I am thinking about doing a restoration on it but I dont seem to be having any luck finding any information on it. Can anyone help me with a history and maybe an idea of a place to look for parts. I did read that the skylark was a sub model of the special in 61 and did not become its own model until 62. I also have read that the skylark was not introduced until mid year of 61 similar to the 64 mustang. if this is correct I would suppose there were not too many of them made. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks. I would like to post some pics of it but I will need to figure out how to do it.

post-70475-143138313462_thumb.jpg

post-70475-143138313464_thumb.jpg

post-70475-143138313466_thumb.jpg

post-70475-143138313468_thumb.jpg

Hi Dale, and welcome to the world of Buicks. That looks like a car that needs a bit of work but with it's sentimental value and it's original color combo, I bet it would be an awesome car restored. I know I like those 61's and they have quite a following among the members of the Buick Club of America. You have joined I presume? If not, you may want to give it some consideration as there are many Buick only vendors who advertise with us and they would be the first place most of us go to find various parts.

Of course we would be really interested to follow your Buick story and progress on the Me and My Buick part of these Forums. So how about giving us some more information about your particular car. For example:

I assume it is the small block V8? Is it an automatic or Stick Shift? How long has it been sitting? And where has it been sitting? Does it roll? And how experienced a mechanic are you? Also how about some interior photos. Things like this will enable forum members to jump in with timely advice.

Guest Dale Crigger

Thanks... Im not a member yet but if I get to restoring this car in full force I will be sure to join. It is an aluminum block V8 but the motor is locked up I believe. It is an Automatic with bucket seats in the front. It has been sitting since about 1970. It is currently in the Richmond, VA area where I grew up but I intend on relocating it here to Palmyra, Indiana where I currently live. It does roll. I have never been involved in a restoration project so this is going to be an adventure for me. I do have some local help from some guys that I work with. One is a custom body and paint (expert in my opinion). The other restored and owns a 55 bel air and another is restoring a BSA motorcycle and a 34 Ford. I hope to enlist them for help and ideas.

If it is a 2-dr. post (post between front and rear side windows when they are all rolled down) it is a '61; if no post, it is a '62. That is the only difference between 1961 and 1962 Skylarks. Yes, the '61 is fairly scarce. I owned a '61 through most of the 1980s, and they are wonderful cars, quick and economical, with a few weak points. The bottom corners of the windshield like to rust out, and if this one has been sitting outdoors since 1970, I can guarantee that the lower windshield leaks into the passenger compartment, usually onto the emergency brake mechanism, which rusts up the emergency brake.

Don't over-tighten ANY of the bolts or spark plugs in that aluminum 215 engine. That's something your other old car buddies will probably know nothing about. Correct torquing of the bolts is very important, or you will strip out the aluminum threads. If in doubt, don't overdo it.

November and December 2007 were the two issues of the Buick Bugle magazine that were on the 1961-63 Skylarks and Specials. John is correct--you will find a lot of parts for them in the current club magazine.

Pete Phillips, BCA #7338

Sherman, TX

Guest Dale Crigger

Thank you for the info. The title says 1961 Buick 2 door Hard Top. I saw some photos of a 62 and It looked like the tailights were different. Were there any variations in the 62 mid way through the year?

Edited by Dale Crigger (see edit history)

Pete is the man with this stuff, and being a prior owner, has insights I never could imagine.

In my opinion, here's the main thing to be careful of:

Many folks today will want to rip out the original engine and tranny and replace it with generic GM ( ie:Chevy) stuff. They will argue for economy, reliability and parts accessibility. While in general they do have a point, everytime they do that it will strip the car of it's heritage, which would be a shame.

A lot of folks will claim the dynaflo tranny in there is a slush bucket and slow, I can tell you from personal experience with my 56 Super, that they are dead wrong. The Dynaflo is pretty much a Constant Velocity transmission and it moves the big ole 56 effortlessly. Maybe it won't burn rubber off the line, but it can cruise with the pack all day long and come back for more. Further, by the time it got to your car it was the beneficiary of many years of added research and development, and it will perform most reliabily under most conditions.

As for that Aluminum V8, it is a different animal, as Pete mentioned. Regardless of if you join the BCA or not, please feel free to come here for recommendations on re-builders who know Buick engines, and do not just let any shop take on the project. There are people who know your car and can do it up right the first time. However, you need to realize that some Buick stuff is a lilttle more expensive up front.

So, don't let them talk you out of the original stuff too fast. Once again Buicks were very reliable cars, and when your's is back in shape, you'll be surprised at the power and economy that the Buick Engineers designed into the product.

Good luck and we'll be watching for updates as you progress.

If it is a 2-dr. post (post between front and rear side windows when they are all rolled down) it is a '61; if no post, it is a '62. ...Pete Phillips, BCA #7338

Sherman, TX

The picture from the advertisement shows what Pete is talking about. Note on the drivers door the window is open, but there is a full window frame. I never even noticed this before. Thanks Pete.

Welcome Dale,

First of all, do a search on "Compact Buick Club". Bruce Andren is the man behind it and is also the BCA Technical Adviser for the '61-63 Special / Skylark.

John - I believe the engine is the 2-speed Dual Path transmission rather than a Dynaflow. At least that is what is on the '62s.

Another difference between '61 and '62 is the shape of the Ventiports on the front fenders, at least on the Specials - '61 was sort of oval, while '62 is kind of a rounded rectangle with vertical ribs. From your photos, I believe the car has the '62 Ventiports.

Did the Skylarks only get the 4-bbl version of the 215?

Another thing to confirm would be to look at / photograph the body data plate on the cowl on the passenger side of the car near the hood hinge. It will confirm the year and also some additional information about the car.

That's about all I can think of at the moment. These are nice cars, and will get about 20 mpg on the highway.

Good luck with it.

Guest Dale Crigger

thanks for all the info. I am really getting excited now that I am learning things about this car.

I do have the title for it and it does state that it is a 61 buick 2 door hard top.

Is there a way to get information on the car by using the vin number like the new cars?

Guest COMPACTBC

Hi Dale: It is hard to tell from your pictures if you have a '61 or a '62 Skylark. The major difference is in the door and quarter window. If when you open the door and the window is down and there is no upper window frame, then you have a '62 Sklark H.T. If there is a window frame when the window is rolled down then you have a '61 Skylark 2 dr. Cpe. I run the Compact Buick Club (www.compactbuickclub.org ) and I have lots of info on these cars as well as where you can get parts. You should join our club if you are going to restore this car. We can keep you from making costly mistakes. :)

Specials have different venti-ports from Skylarks. 4-dr. Specials have different tail lights from Skylarks. And they don't use the Dynaflow transmission. Somebody above correctly identified it as the Dual-Path Turbine drive, and there are two very different bottom pans for the Dual-Path; one has numerous bolts around the outside edge of the pan; another style has one big bolt right in the center of the pan. These cars also have a unique two-piece (actually 3-piece, if you count the CV joint in the center) drive shaft. The center CV joint assembly is tough to replace; drive shaft parts are scarce.

Keith, yours and mine were the same color!

Pete Phillips, BCA #7338

Edited by Pete Phillips (see edit history)

The December, 2010 issue of "Collectible Automobile" magazine includes a fine article by Terry Boyce about the 1961 - 1963 Special and Skylark cars. There's some great historical perspective about the engine designs (both V8 and V6) and the success of these cars in the marketplace.

Guest Special_49

I sold my '62 Skylark about 5 years ago to an older couple in northern Wisconsin. They still email me every year and tell me how much they like it....

392252496.jpg

Guest Special_49

This is the only other pic I could find. It's one the couple who bought the car sent me when they were attending their high school reunion a couple of years ago....

392254749.jpg

Guest Ric's62

Dale, Welcome and congrats. on getting the skylark. They are great little cars. Comfortable Buick ride and the lightweight aluminum v-8 engine has lots of power. Mechanical parts are available, but nice trim parts are much harder to come by. By joining the club, you will have lots of experienced Buick nuts willing to help you out. Dual path trans parts are available thru "Fatsco", Engine parts thru D&D fabrications (aluminum v8.com). This would be a good project to start with, as well as the family history with the car. Good luck, Rick