1950s FULL CLASSIC ONLY JUNKYARD

Guest Silverghost

Guest Silverghost

I am going to show my age by asking this question. Does any CCCA member remember a junk/scrapyard somewhere in NY that only catered to large full classics ?When I was very small Dad dragged me up there from Phila. The yard was full of Springfield R~R, PAs, Packards, etc. 1/3 of the cars were open front towncars. This place was run by a short stockey man with an eastern europen accent, possibly Russian.He was quite a guy ! A tough customer indeed ! He catered to full Classics only ! The building was unheated and packed to the rafters with small parts. When you walked inside you could hardly move around; parts were everywhere! He had an old desk Inside and an old wood stove. You could smell wood burning, cigar smoke, and old #90 oil. In the outside fenced-in yard was the greatest collection of Full Classics I have ever seen. Despite their conditon the cars were indeed impressive. Dad was after a large Westinghouse Generator to replace one on my Grandmother's great old Springfield Phantom I that sat for years in the carriage house. The man had exactly what dad needed. Does anyone else remember this place ?Dad claimed that this place was famous among early Full Classic collector/owners .The owner was supposely also an AACA member and active very early in this hobby ! I believe Henry Austin Clark told dad about this "Classic Scrapyard" ! How long into the 50-60s did it remain open ?Where did these cars & Parts wind-up ?BRAD HUNTER215 947 4676

Edited by Silverghost (see edit history)

I went to a place like that one time in Rhode Island, called "Bill's Auto Parts". I've been told it is long gone now.

I used to go every year with my Dad to Bill's in the 70s. My dad told me that in the late 50s and early 60s there were still many complete restorable Full Classics in the yard, Packard, Cadillac, Reo Royale. Inside the warehouse there was a prewar Morgan 3 wheeler, as well as boxes and boxes of NOS parts.