Towing with a 56 Century?

Guest NikeAjax

Guest NikeAjax

Is there anyone out there that tows with their Buick? I have a little 1959 Field & Stream "canned ham" trailer, it doesn't weigh much as I can tow it with my 1997 Toyota 4-cyl, but my little truck is very light and underpowered as a tow vehicle. Is there a tow package I can just bolt on? Any tricks or recommendations advice? BTW I just had the tranny rebuilt, and the motor has less than 1K on a rebuild too, so there should be no issues there; yes I know, start out in low.

Jaybird

There was a '57 Estate Wagon that towed a moderate-sized travel trailer from their home base in OR or WA to Flint in '03. Seems like there was some discussion in here, at the time, of what it took. Others were there too, with similar tow rigs.

Just some thoughts,

NTX5467

I would advise instaling electric brakes on that thing - which would likely mean a whole new axle...

And a big trans cooler for the Dynaflow.

I have also seen period pictures of Buicks pulling trailers, and always thought it must be a 3-speed car, because a Dynaflow would sure heat up under a load like that.

Buicks certainly have the torque to pull, but brakes and trans are the weakest links in the chain.

Doug Cook

Hi

Two weeks ago I towed a 500kg Teardrop Camper that has over ride brakes with my 56 Special for the first time without problem but I suggest that it would be better with some sort of spring uplifts in the rear. The springs are very soft and my car sagged quite a bit.

I went down and back up a long mountain with winding roads using `L' and there was no problem with power or overheating but the brakes were marginal and heated up quite quickly even though I used them as little as possible. I agree that a transmission cooler (and a electric fan)would be a good idea if pulling in hot climates or mountainous regions but out on the highway the car is just not working hard enough to require it.

Construction of the towbar was easy, a straight piece of 50X50X4mm box section steel with a piece of 50X50X4mm angle welded at each end is sufficient for my little camper. This is drilled and bolted to the underside of the chassis at the rear with some plates on the inside of the chassis for strengthening. I also added another piece welded to the bar but bolted to the bumper bar mounting bolt at the rear.

Koala

For what might be the ultimate "what went wrong" movie of trailer towing . . . "The Long Trailer", circa 1953 or so, with Ricky and Lucy in a new Mercury convertible.

Seems like the '57 Buick wagon and trailer at the 2003 Flint meet ought to be in that meet's pictures . . . archived somewhere in here? Looked really neat!

NTX5467