teves use at gm

Guest squiretom

Guest squiretom

just a request for info

i had an (88 and a 90 ) olds 98 touring sedan and an 89 bonneville SSE at one time or another.

all had the most comfortable 16 way seats .

were these antilock systems Teves also?

did they have the same engine management computers?

no hurry , no purpose , just curious

thanx

Pontiac was the first on the '86 STE but Buick, Olds, and Pontiac all used the Teves from 1987-1990.

In that vein I an having good luck recoating the sensor cables with liquid electrical tape if the rubber is crumbling off but the braid is in good shape. It restores the structure while cracked rubber focusses stress on the crack points.

Padgett, can the wheel sensors be tested? While there is no technical information in the manual, the schematic shows them as coils (Hall effect?) Not knowing the resistance, would a continuity (open) test be sufficient?

Somewhere I found a listing that Ford used the system, it did not say if it was standard or optional on '85-'89 Lincoln Contiental, Mark VII, '87-'92 Thunderbirds, and Cougars, '88-'89 Merkur Scorpio, .......also '88-'91 Peugeot 505, 91 -? Saab 900, and the list also included 91 and up VW Passat but a local VW expert claims it was never used on US Passat.

Guest Mc_Reatta

I've been looking into this also.

It is not a true Hall Effect sensor which requires a third wire supplying a reference voltage like the cam posistion sensor has.

It is basically a small generator. It is a magnetic core with a coil of wire surrounding it. As the wheel trigger ring moves past it, it produces a small AC voltage of a frequency varing with wheel speed.

This weak signal is carried up the 2 conductor shielded wire back to the ABS computer.

They do make ABS sensor testers but not sure they would be worth the $100 or more investment.

The simple resistance test should confirm that the wires and coil are intact, and the magnet and the trigger ring on the axle should last a good long time.

If you want to try a simple test, you could attached a DVM set to the lowest AC millivolt scale and rapidly move a piece of ferrious metal back in forth in close proxcimity to the business end of the sensor and see it you get a reading.

The weak link is the wire from the sensor up to the connector inside the vehicle. Ideally a solution would make this piece replaceable so that the sensor would not even need to be removed from its mount. Sounds like that is very hard to do without damaging or destroying it, and it probably is in working condition anyway.

I'm hoping to come up with a good solution for the problem when I get some time and Padgett loans me one of his round toits and some sensors to play with. Major hurdle is to come up with a connector that can be retrofitted onto the installed sensor and can handle the harsh environment and the amount of movement and vibratioin that it would see.

Might mention that while the sensor wire is two conductor (shield and core), the wire inside the car is just two wires with no shielding. Grab one when junking and you have an easy test connector.

Now BWD seems to make several hundred ABS sensors, some with cables and some without. I suspect one of them would work as a replacement but there are no dimensions so is hard to tell.

Guest Mc_Reatta

Do the multiple grommets look like they can be removed and reused on a replacement wire, or are they firmly attached to the wire and would probably be damaged if one tried to remove them?