What were the original fan belts made from in 1921?

sleeve-valve

The fan belt on my 1921 Stearns-Knight is frayed, needs replacing. It is a flat belt. I can find a replacement that should fit from a Model T site and also surprisingly, Gates lists a belt that will fit!

The one on my car is woven and not continuous, it is held together with metal staples, I doubt it's original, but I don't know. What were original fan belts made from in 1921? I've seen reference to leather or woven flat belts. Would they be continuous like modern belts or cut and held together with stiching or staples?

Up until the early 20's, the most common fan belt was leather, either skived at each end and joined together as one continuous loop, or riveted or linked together. The V-belt was invented in the late teens, but not in common use on cars until later in the 20's. Many alternatives were used also, from woven cloth belts, to linked together belts made of numerous small pieces, which could be adjusted for length by removing a piece or more.

With a flat belt, the pulley which it rides on should be crowned, as a flat belt will tend to ride to the high spot on the pulley, thus if crowned in the center, the belt will stay aligned and ride the pulley in the middle. For some reason you'd think the belt would go to the low side, but that's not the case. I ran a cotton gin in Lousiana in the 70's, and we were still using line shaft drive for the gins, and flat belt drives. On large belts, another trick was to cross them to change drive direction on the driven pulley.

Just a few thoughts on belts.....

Guest De Soto Frank

The woven belt sounds like it might have been from an industrial supplier ?

My circa 1900 Star Engine lathe uses a woven flat-belt in its "transmission" ( oppposing sets of stepped-pulleys) - like the article of clothing, it is a flat piece, wrapped around the pulleys and secured to itself with a "buckle" ( the metal "staples" at each end with a wire hinge running through to lock the buckle together).

A belt with a metal "buckle" may have a ticking sound, as the buckle contacts each pulley...

An "endless" belt will run quieter, but may not be an option, depending on how the belt can be installed ?

In the early Twenties belts were made of leather, woven fabric and rubber with fabric reinforcement.

Are you looking for show-points authentic or driver-functional ?

Regarding leather belts remember that the outside of the cow goes on the inside of the belt. That is, the hard side rides on the pulley, not the "fuzzy" side. Leather belting as well as staples are available from McMaster-Carr Supply and they will also make you a continuous leather belt if that is your choice.

• 1 month later...
These guys have made me a couple of belts. Great service and quality. Might just give them a call. Custom Leather Drive Belts-Single-ply (11/64''), up to 4'' wide

I ended up ordering my belt from them. The belt was made for me very quickly, exactly the size I requested, and very reasonably priced. Thanks for the tip!

Guest billybird

A frequently overlooked source for leather goods is a shoe repair shop. My brother-in-law, a shoe cobbler by trade made all my tack strip out of leather as well as other jobs. The problem now is finding a shoe shop. However, my brother-in-law is still in business and thriving. It's a third generation shop.