1952 Roadmaster

Cubelodyte

So I've got this here Buick. There's a fair amount of cosmetic work that needs to be done, especially the chrome, and the interior smells like the inside of an old steamer trunk, but the glass is pristine, the engine seems to run well, and there's nary a ding on the body.

I don't have much (read: any) mechanical experience, but everybody says the straight eights are dead simple. Anyway, I love the lines of the 1950-53 Roadmasters, and finally got one.

Pictures!

post-69295-143138301426_thumb.jpg

post-69295-14313830143_thumb.jpg

post-69295-143138301433_thumb.jpg

post-69295-143138301436_thumb.jpg

post-69295-143138301438_thumb.jpg

post-69295-143138301441_thumb.jpg

post-69295-143138301443_thumb.jpg

post-69295-143138301446_thumb.jpg

post-69295-143138301449_thumb.jpg

post-69295-143138301451_thumb.jpg

Guest sconnors

Great pics!! You'll have fun restoring her!! I've posted some pics of my 1950 Buick Special engine to give you an idea of the colors. Hope it helps

Scott

post-63492-143138301533_thumb.jpg

post-63492-143138301536_thumb.jpg

Very nice Cubelodyte! If it were me, I'd get the mechanicals up to snuff and drive it like that without worrying about chrome and paint too much. It is way nicer than mine.

For the interior, you may want to look into a couple of options. There is a product called NilOdor. You put a drop or two on a rag and toss it into the car and it will absorb odors. I haven't used it personally, but I have some on the advice of a friend who has used it. Another product is called Fresh Cab. It is sachets that are pine scented that deter mice and other rodents. While the latter doesn't eliminate odors per se, it makes it much more pleasant in the interior, although the pine scent can be a bit strong. I first found it through exterminators, but it seems to be becoming more mainstream, so you may find it a agricultural dealers or general store / hardware store type places that you can find poisons or traps.

Again, the car looks nice. Some information about the car can be found at 1952 Buick Models.

Mine is black. Not sure if it was like that from the factory or not.

Mine is currently "rust". I'm guessing it was never painted, but I really have no idea.

I'd get the mechanicals up to snuff and drive it like that without worrying about chrome and paint too much.

That's my basic plan. Especially since the re-chroming is not gonna be cheap.

For the interior, you may want to look into a couple of options. There is a product called NilOdor.

Huh. I'll check that out. the upholstery all needs to be replaced at some point, though.

It seems to me the fan ought to be painted. I'll try to remember to take a look at mine next time I'm out there (unfortunately, it won't be easy since the hood is covered in "stuff"). From the one photo at 1952 Buick Roadmaster Four Door Riviera Sedan I would surmise the fan to be painted (but dusty / dirty).

The more I think about it, I think every fan I recall seeing on the straight 8s was painted.

It seems to me the fan ought to be painted. ...

The more I think about it, I think every fan I recall seeing on the straight 8s was painted.

If ever there was a part that should be plasticoted, the fan is it. I painted my 56's but it seems to have taken quite the beating while in use.

If ever there was a part that should be plasticoted, the fan is it. I painted my 56's but it seems to have taken quite the beating while in use.

I'm not sure what you mean by "plasticoted". Is there a particular PlastiKote paint that is recommended? I was planning on priming and painting it with regular ol' engine enamels.

Maybe I used the wrong terminology? Anyway as I know it, plasticoting is a process where the part is stripped of all existing paint and then finished with a paint made of plastic beads. I do not know the formal process but the plastic beads stick through an electrostatic process, and then the part is baked in an oven, where the plastic beads flow out and form the top coat. Some people have had entire frames redone like this and the coating is vitrually indestructable.

The fan paint on my 56 has deteriorated and is full of poc-holes, not to the point of rusting, but just enough that when I wipe it down you can feel the rough surface on the blades. Plasticoating would prevent this.