1927 Dodge Truck - Generator Output

juanatejeda

Can someone tell me what the output volatge should be for a 1927 Dodge Brothers 4 Screen Express with a 6 volt system. I have an 8 volt battery and it seems that I can get a good enough charge to keep the battery charged up. The truck is not driven very much, mostely displays and a few parades a year.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I have checked the generator and it appears to have an output of about 5 volts, at an idle RPM.

Put the correct 6 volt battery in it and make sure all the wires are heavy enough. You will be much happier. Right now you are essentially running on a dead battery because the 6 volt system is not putting out enough voltage to keep the 8 volt battery at the specific gravity it needs to perform correctly.

Per DBC News April/May 04, p 22 The North Eat Type LB 6384 generator used on Fast Four engines should have an output of 18 amps at 1400 rpm. Not stated but obviously with no load such as lights or after market electric fuel pump, etc. You need a 6 Volt battery. Try NAPA and use their commercial 6 volt. Last time I bought one about $ 100 with exchange. Also, get a good quality battery charger rated 6 volt which will cycle to trickle charge to maintain the battery after charge. Mine is a Sears 6v/12v which works very well

Best wishes

Paul

Paul is right, go back to 6 volts. It was probably converted to 8 volt for starting related reasons. According to specs you wont show a charge untill 450 RPM or 10 MPH. If you raise the RPM's, does your voltage go up? You do have an adjustable 3rd brush if you desire to try and increase charge rate. BE CAREFUL if do make any adjustments, so that you are not overcharging at higher RPM's. Thats a good way to burn up your generator.

My chart lists output as follows:

0 amps @ 425 RPM

2 amps @ 450 RPM (10 MPH)

5 amps @ 600 RPM

12 amps @ 1000 RPM

16 amps @ 1200 RPM

When you go back to 6 volts, if have starter problems, feel free to contact me with questions @ 866-228-0218. Going to 8 volts is usually a bandaid fix to starter/starting issues.

Jason Smith

Advanced Electrical Rebuilders

Grand Ledge, MI