Clamshell Motor Wiring Diagram

Ron Luchene

Does anyone have a wiring diagram for the clamshell motor circuit that shows two relays? The diagram in the shop manual only shows one relay but I have two and it appears to have been added professionally as the harness is intact.

My motor was working fine prior to parking it last year to do some interior work. It now opens but will not close. I can bypass the relays and apply power direct to the motor and it closes fine. I would think the issue is at one of these two relays. One was replaced a couple of years ago. Before I replace anything I would like to confirm how it is suppose to be wired. I appreciate any help you can offer.

Thanks - Ron

If I remember correctly. The 65's originally came with one relay and the visors would work with the ignition off. The second relay was added ( running change? recall? ) so the headlights would not close unless the ignition was on. It sounds like a bad relay. When mine quit working, I removed the second relay and reverted back to one and the headlight visors work fine. It is a simple thing to do once you look at the harness, just switching some wires.

Thanks for the reply. It makes sense to me now but not sure why Buick determined this was necessary. Any thoughts? I can certainly rewire the circuit but if there is a good reason for the modification than I guess I should be in the market for a relay. This relay is slightly different than the one I previously replaced and I haven't found a source as of yet this morning.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest ErikDurocher

Hello Ron,

In case you have not yet found a relay - I just got one for my '65 at Rockauto.com - part # RY8 $10.63... Still don't know if I'll need it -that project is down on the list now... Did you ever find the wiring diagram? If so, I could use it too if you can fwd. it.

Best of luck.

-Erik

'65 401 Deluxe, Posi, Loaded, Black/Black

• 11 months later...
Guest olmsedd2

Jim, Hello My name is Eddie I just joined and I was wondering if you still had the wiring diagram for the headlights on the 65 you sent to Erik on this post? My e-mail address is ewsalinas@netzero.net

Thanks and best regards

There was a Service Bulletin sent out to all Buick Dealers about this. You all need the 2 CD set of scanned '65 Buick Dealer service Bulletins from me. $12 + shipping ($5 in USA, other destinations will be more).

PM or e-mail me if you want one. I take PayPal. Satisfaction guaranteed. I scanned all these bulletins myself. They are really fine quality. I'm selling them as a service to Riv owners, not to be making a killing.