Voltage Regulator Delco Remy repair

trimacar

Hi- I have a Delco Remy voltage regulator, don't know if original or not, but is old, on a 1937 Cord. It's not working. Does someone out there test and rebuild these units? I'd like to keep this one on the car, or if not correct, find an original working unit with patina to match the car......thanks

Yes, there are folks out there who repair them, check Hemmings under "Services Offered" and you'll find one or more. But NAPA (Echlin) and Standard still have many of these older regulators as cataloged items, not on the shelf but usuall available the next day. They will differ a bit in appearance from an OEM unit perhaps, but you can always create a patina.

David, I assume rhe Cord is still on 6 volts, but if it has been converted to 12, which often was done to handle headlights converted to seal beams, then the catalog part numbers given for replacements wouldn't apply. Would it be possible to use the old cover on the new regulator you have? Have you hooked it up and found it to function ok? Are you sure that the generator is working? Have you cleaned and re-tightened connections? Is the generator the original Autolite, it could have been changed too. A good bet if it is in fact the regulator at fault would be to have the old one repaired, since it must have previously worked in the system, and it has patina. Something you could try on the regulator would be to pass a piece of heavy brown grocery bag paper back and forth between the points while gently holding them closed to de-scuzz them.