Removal of rear axles

papafarms

OK GUYS, i HAVE TAKEN THE PUMPKIN PLATE OFF AND THE DRIVESHAFT DIFFERENTIAL, YOU CAN SEE THE GEARS AND THE TWO AXLES, TOOK OFF THE 4 BOLTS TO THE BACKING PLATE FOR THE BRAKES, AND THE 4 BOLTS,(2 ON EACH SIDE) THAT HOLD THE BEARINGS IN PLACE IN THE REAR, ANYTHING I AM MISSING BEFORE I GO TO PULL THE AXLES, ANY HELP WOULD BE APPRECIATED, I AM DOING AN OFFF FRAME RESTO ON A 40 BUICK SPECIAL CONVERTIBLE 46CTHANKS BOB

Edited by papafarms
PERSONALIZED WITH NAME (see edit history)

I remember many years ago a friend of mine banging away franticly on a sliding hammer trying to pull his '39 8/60 axles as he was going to replace his leaking axle seals. I asked him if he had removed the "C" like washers that held the axles in and got a stupid look. Thankfully no damage done. He removed the axle retainer washers at the end of the axle inside the diff and they just pulled out sooooo easily. I would suggest you look for these too. If I remember correctly you need to remove a bolt to let a shaft through the small gears come out, (the small gears and shims may fall out so beware). This allows the axles to move inward and remove the C type washers. Voilà !! Mind you, that's from memory and it was 15-20 years ago.

Good luck with it.

Danny