401 timing chain cover problems

Guest donhess64rivi

Guest donhess64rivi

i have a 401 nailhead out of a 65 riviera the timing chain cover has a few bolts broke off in the housing tried to use a reverser but broke off so now im dealing with steel... seeing if anyone has had this happen before or can give any info on what can be done thanks hess

Hess,

Depends on what you have for tools and skills. I have had luck heating the broken bolts with a torch and using a vise grip to back them out. I have also used a drill press to drill them out with the timing chain cover removed from the engine.

If you don't have the resouces, most machine shops may be able to help you out.

Tim

Hess,

If Tim's suggestion don't work out for you, here's a link to a friend of mine's website. He's making a few new parts for nailheads and new timing covers is one of them. I'm just giving Paul a plug here as well as letting you know you have an alternative if yours can't be salvaged.

Ed

http://www.buicknailheads.com/images/new_parts/timing-cover,-front-view-w-text_large.jpg

i have a 401 nailhead out of a 65 riviera the timing chain cover has a few bolts broke off in the housing tried to use a reverser but broke off so now im dealing with steel... seeing if anyone has had this happen before or can give any info on what can be done thanks hess

If you mean a screw extractor when you say reverser, I have successfully taken a high quality hardened center punch and smashed the broken extractor into pieces to get it out. They are usually very hard and will shatter when struck. After that, you can continue trying to drill it out. If you can get another extractor in, If not already, definitely use heating and cooling. Heat it up and let it cool 3-4 times then heat it up and use the extractor.

Guest REX STALLION

I`m with JZRIV shatter the easy out (extractor) they are brittle and will break. When using an easy out, I try to drill out as large as possible as the easy out has less mass to move. After you have drilled it out apply heat before using the easy out . Never an exact science but be patient you will get it.