29 Pierce Questions

Dandy Dave

I've been working on a 1929 Pierce for a Friend that has been mothballed for quite some time. Got it running and worked though some bugs. I am wondering what weight of oil is recomended for the rearend and transmission. My first educated guess would be 600 wt. Second would be 140WT. Which would you use? Also it runs rough at idle speed and seem to be starving for fuel. Runs very good on the high end and climbs a hill in high with power to spare. Low speed jets to small? Thanks, Dandy Dave!

Hey Dave; regards to the rough idle;Things to check before you look at jet sizes. Your carb, I believe it is a UUR2, could be dirty with sediment. Also check the low speed adjustment. Check for a leaky carb gasket, and finally check for leaky intake manifold garkets. regards; oldiron

Hey old iron, Thanks for the reply. I know that the manifold on the car is from a Studebaker as the firing order cast in it differs from Pierce. Could it be that the carburetor is also from a Studebaker and have something to do with it? There is another carburetor in some boxes of parts that is in ruff shape as the pot metal is cracked and broken in places. I have no idea which is correct for the Pierce? Now you have me thinking that it may be drawing vacumm from the old vacumm wiper hoses also. I'll have to trace them out. Dandy Dave!

Dave, The car should have a UU2 Stromberg on it. In 29 they had no air filter or spark arrestor, just a chrome pipe with a 45 degree angle on it and a blow by tube from the valve cover into the pipe. It should have the small type choke horn. If would not be uncommon to have the wrong carb on it, as most of the U series carbs fit smaller displacement engines and therefore they are not set up correctly for the Pierce. John Cislak is in the PAS and makes lots of parts for both the UU2 and UUR2, and he is just down the road from you. His number is 413-543-9017 in Springfield Mass. It would also help to rejet the carb for today's garbage type gas. If the car sat for a long time flushing the tank and fuel lines as well as rebuilding the fuel pump are also in order.

PS if it's running lean you could burn a valve......

You are right, This is something that I am aware of. It has a fresh valve job with new valves that was done some time ago, But the car was never run after. I do not think anyone could sort out the firing order problem until I happened upon it and corrected it. It runs correctly on the High speed jets and has plenty of power. It just does not run correctly at an idle. Right now the car is with the Pierce Group in Wood Stock, Vermont. Should be back later today. The carbuetor has a nickled Air horn at a 45 degree angle as suggested. But...,with that said, it is easily removable and could be intalled on similar carburetor with the wrong idle jets. I'll see if I can get some letters, numbers off of it when it returns. Thanks all. Dandy Dave!