Trunk details 1967 Newport

Guest schlot

Guest schlot

Guys,

Does anyone have a good picture of how the tire jack, hook and tire wrench are placed in the trunk a Chrysler? I have the manual now, but it doesn't really show much of how it should be stored.

Also, the mat (rubber type material) is getting pretty bad. Can you tell me where I can get replacement mat for it?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...
Guest schlot

Got around to detailing the trunk (somewhat) and I finally got the system down. The "hook" of the bumper jack rests on the frame in trunk, and the tire in turn rests on the hook. Thanks again for the info. Now if I can find a replacement trunk mat.

Newports had the thick, molded rubber mat (with the "pattern" in some areas trying to mimic carpet pile). They got brittle with age, and then very fragile.

New Yorkers had carpet, with additional cardboard "fillers" on the side, for a more upscale look.

I suspect that when you ease the existing mat up, you'll find pockets of rust in the indentions in the luggage compartment floor. This is normal, from hot/cold cycles and the rubber trapping the resultant moisture under it. Carpet would "breathe" some, I suspect. You can hope the existing undercoat/sealer which is under the paint has held up well enough to keep the "rust" on top of it.

I have a '67 Newport 2-dr hardtop and a '66 Newport 6-Window sedan. BOTH have the rubber mat. First time I pulled the mat up in the '66, when it was still pliable and about 6 years old, I found "moisture" under it, not really knowing where it came from, so I checked for weatherstrip leaks, finding none. They, whenever, will get black pile carpet like my '70 Monaco Brougham 4-dr hardtop has in it. A trim shop should be able to make that, just make sure it is "serged" on the outer edges so it doesn't unravel and to provide a finished look to it.

Just some thoughts,

NTX5467

Guest schlot

That's exactly what I found. Small chunks of it came up revealing some rust. The rust didn't look too bad. I overlaid it with a simple parts store universal mat for now, as there is a car show coming up in a couple weeks.

What would you suggest for long term. Pull mat, remove rust, paint and put down carpet?