Power Window Plastic Tape Drive

Guest crazytrain2

Guest crazytrain2

I have a 1989 Park Ave with power windows which incorporate what is referred to as a "Tape Drive" design.

When raising the window the motor pulls this perforated plastic tape (looks like a belt) through a metal channel the end of the tape is connected to the the bottom of the window via a "Regulator Tape Guide".

The tape has broke and I am struggling with replacing it. I have removed the old tape (which was in 2 pieces since it broke) and guide. I have the new tape in the metal track and pushed up to where the teeth on the motor gear should catch it and pull it through but for some reason it wont. I am now thinking perhaps the gear teeth are broken off but there is such limited access to this thing I can't tell.

*Does anyone have any suggestions to help?

*If I decide to pull the motor, how do I know which rivets to drill out?

*Do I need to drill large holes through the interior door metal to get at the rivets to drill them out?

*Would a new motor require a special drive gear which matches up with the plastic tape holes?

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Edited by crazytrain2 (see edit history)

If there was enough stress to break the tape drive, there could be a problem with the motor's gear drive.

I'm assuming the motor turns freely in both directions when the switch is used; is that correct? If so, removing the motor assembly to inspect the teeth on the gear assembly may be required. If the motor does not turn, you could have a piece of the old tape jammed in the teeth, or the motor could be shot (not unusual due to age).

Before disassembling the motor (if it is not turning) I would remove the electrical connector to make sure you have 12 VDC going to the motor. You could be looking at a bad switch or blown fuse.

Good luck!

I have a 1989 Park Ave with power windows which incorporate what is referred to as a "Tape Drive" design.

*If I decide to pull the motor, how do I know which rivets to drill out?

*Do I need to drill large holes through the interior door metal to get at the rivets to drill them out?

*Would a new motor require a special drive gear which matches up with the plastic tape holes?

You have to get the glass out of the door first, which is not easy due to the plastic tabs that hold the back edge of the window into the track at the back edge of the door.

With the glass out you need to drill out the three or four rivits that hold the entire tape and motor assembly to the door.

With these out you can remove the assembly and then drill out the two or three rivits that hold the motor to the assembly.

Advanced Auto used to sell new motors , which I thought were reasonable. Of course, I have not bought one in several years so I don't even know for certain that they are still available. I recommend you take a look into securing a new one if possible. I am unsure if anyone rebuilds these motors.

With the motor off the assembly you can position the tape and then reassemble using standard hardware available at your hardware store. I recommend using the nuts that have nylon inserts which help lock them in place.

Guest crazytrain2

Thanks guys but I got lucky this time (which is rare) My Dad stopped by and I was showing him where I was on the fix and I mentined that I couldn't understand why the motor (gear) wasn't grabbing the belt and pulling it the rest of the way through. I gave it one more try as I was saying that and Badda Bing the gaer grabbed onto the belt and pulled it through. Didn't have to remove regulator, motor or window. You access the regulator tape and regulator tape guide by removing the door speaker. All in all not a bad design actually. Fortunatley for me the motor was still good. Thanks for all the help just the same !!

Guest crazytrain2

I've attached a pic of the power window track, glass, regulator tape (old) and regulator tape guide in case anyone else runs into this problem down the road.

Thanks for the update! Sometimes, things are not as hard to do as was first suspected--either by design or LUCK.

We sold a lot more of the plastic glass retention clips (which slide in the weatherstrip and keep the glass in the correct position) and plastic ball-stud slides than we did "tape drive" plastic. To me, it looks like "plastic plumber's tape".

Take care,

NTX5467