Chrysler fluid drive question 2-3 speed

Guest Superjustin13

Guest Superjustin13

I have a 47 windsor With the Highlander option with a fluiddrive

Is the 2 speed i have in my car original? it seems like most of them were 3 speeds.

i have Reserve,Neutral, low and High

This question has been answered many times, most recently by me just a few days ago.

For your convenience I reproduce my answer here. Call it "Best of Rusty" LOL

"This subject has been covered in depth in the Chrysler and Dodge boards, about 2 years ago. You might want to do a search. There is a lot of good info if you search for Fluid Drive.

Briefly here is how the Fluid Drive transmission works.

There are 3 shifter positions, High range Low range and Reverse. For High range pull the lever down, for low range push the lever up, for reverse pull the lever toward you and up.

These are the same positions as High, Second, and Reverse of a conventional column shift. There is no Low gear position.

To start off here is how I like to do it in my car. Put the trans in neutral, if you are not familiar with column shift neutral is between High and Low range positions. So put it in neutral and pull out the hand brake. To avoid that annoying ratcheting sound turn the handle when you pull.

Start the engine and let it warm up a minute. Step on the clutch, shift into High range, and release the clutch completely. Now release the hand brake and drive off as if it was an automatic transmission. You are now in low gear of high range.

When you get going 14 MPH or more, lift off the gas. You should hear a *click-clack* from the transmission.Once you hear this you can step on the gas again. This means it has shifted into high gear of high range which is where you do most of your driving. You do not need the clutch for this.

If you mash the pedal to the floor the trans should kick down like an automatic. At least, if you are going less than 50.

When you come to a stop, intersection or stop sign, just use the brake and leave it in gear like an automatic. When you start off it will be in low gear of high range, you have to lift off the gas and shift up again once you get going.

For slow driving, or heavy going in mud, snow, sand, or starting off on a steep grade, you can start off in Low range. This is the same as starting off in High range except of course, the position of the shift lever.

Once you get going 6 MPH you can shift into high gear of low range by lifting off the gas pedal, same as in high range.

If you wish to shift from Low range to High range, use the clutch pedal and shift like a manual trans.

To go in Reverse, likewise step on the clutch pedal and shift into reverse, then drive as if it was an automatic.

Do not slip the clutch. Use the fluid drive. You only need the clutch when shifting into gear or changing gear lever positions other than that it is like an automatic.

It is actually a pretty simple, rugged, and reliable transmission. Much the most trouble free and easy to maintain of the early efforts at automatic drive.

Half the trouble people have is they do not know how to operate and maintain them. Of the other half, 90% is wiring and using the correct oil in the fluid drive and transmission.

Hope this helps, if you want more info check out the search function. If you can get a repair manual or owner's manual it will help you to understand how the fluid drive system works. Or, if you have any other questions we will be here."

Here is the answer the last guy gave to the above post:

"Thanks for the reply. That was very helpful. After reading this I was able to get out for a test drive and it was perfect. Thank you."

By the way you are very lucky to have a 1947 Chrysler with the Highlander optional upholstery. They are a classy and unusual car.

If you have read and digested the above post you now know your car has a 4 speed transmission that is semi automatic. That is, it drives like an automatic except you have to help it a little.

You actually have a 4 speed! Low will start off in 1st and shifts to 2nd when you lift you foot off the gas. High starts off in 3rd and shifts to 4th. It is very easy to hit three gears but not all four. If you start the car in low range it will be in 1st. Lift your foot off the gas and it will shift to 2nd. Depress the clutch and shift to "high" range and you will be in 4th.

If you shift from low to high range before you lift your foot off the gas and your speed is below 6 mph, it will shift into third, then lift you foot off the gas and it will shift into 4th.

Also, on this transmission, if the shift has occured in the range and you floor the accelerator, it will downshift to the lower gear of the range.

Most of your driving can be done in the high range. I only use low range when starting off on a steep hill.

For the 6 cylinder cars a manual 4 speed transmission was used and thats what I've discribed above. For the 8 cylinder cars, they drove and shifted the same way but used a totally different transmission. It was a 3 speed with overdrive. First gear was omitted. The transmission shifted from 2nd to 2nd overdrive in low and from 3rd to 3rd overdrive in high.

All this sound complicated, but it is a joy to drive and very easy.

Guest De Soto Frank

For the 8 cylinder cars, they drove and shifted the same way but used a totally different transmission. It was a 3 speed with overdrive. First gear was omitted. The transmission shifted from 2nd to 2nd overdrive in low and from 3rd to 3rd overdrive in high.

The Eights used the 3-speed OD for '41-'42 only.

After WWII, the '46-'48 Chrysler and De Soto used the same M-5 "Hydraulically-oeprated" Transmission. (The eight cylinder applications used a longer input shaft.)

For whatever reasons, Chrysler Corp did not offer an Overdrive option from 1946-'48.

Good info from the other posts...

Guest De Soto Frank

Thanks for the clarification on the input shafts Bob; wish I 'd known that 20-some years ago, when I was looking for a replacement M-5 for my '48 New Yorker... ( pre-Internet).

How about the Fluid Coupling - are they all the same, or different between the six and straight-eight ?

Thanks for the clarification on the input shafts Bob; wish I 'd known that 20-some years ago, when I was looking for a replacement M-5 for my '48 New Yorker... ( pre-Internet).

How about the Fluid Coupling - are they all the same, or different between the six and straight-eight ?

"8" cylinder fluid couplings are different then the 6 cylinder couplings. Up to 1948 also have a wider 1/2" ring gear and 1949 up have a 3/8" ring gear.

Bob