? for you Packard V12 guys

v12lincoln

Have any of you replaced the wire mesh air filter with a paper or K&N style filter for driving?

If so what did you use and did you notice an improvement?

I ask because I was working on my Father in Laws 39 V12 and it would stall every time we stopped at a light or stop sign. The mesh filter looked clean but I could hardly feel 120psi of comressed air through it, even after cleaning it in gas there was not much improvement.

Guest John_Lawrence

I agree with O_D, there is something drastically wrong with your mesh filter. You will probably want to fix it using original type material, but if you decide to go with something more modern I would recommend a dry pleated paper element. You can probably find one that approximates the size and shape of the original mesh element at your local parts store. The K&N filters are expensive and require periodic servicing. The pleated paper cost much less and can be easily replaced when the time comes. Others here can advise you on original type material. Whether K&N or pleated paper, there is probably no performance gain over the original.

(o{I}o)

The mesh for some reason is double thick, not sure if it is suppose to be doubled so I wont mess with it until I hear from someone with more knowledge on these. Im not looking for any performance gain, The car runs great until I come to a stop then it stalls out, Idle is at 500rpm and will sit all day and idle perfect just cant drive it and come to a stop without it stalling.

Any ideas on a fix for that?

Im taking the carb off tomorrow to go through it and put a new kit in it and make sure all the air bleeds are open and everything is set to spec.

• 1 year later...
Guest JerryW

v12lincoln, did you ever figure out the stalling problem? I am having the exact same problem. My Packard will start and idle and drive great until I either coast with the clutch in or come to a stop. After I come to a stop and it stalls out I just hit the starter and it fires up like nothing is wrong. If you fixed it please let me know what you found.

Guest JerryW

Thank you so much! I definitely have a vacuum problem and I think it's caused by a carburetor gasket that I already knew was bad. I just ordered a rebuild kit and hopefully that'll do the trick! I really appreciate your help!

Guest RenegadeV8

Try driving the car with air cleaner removed. If that solves the problem then u know it's the air cleaner. I really doubt the air cleaner is the problem. If u do replace element of air cleaner follow the advice given by others above. Personaly i wouo dprefer the stock air cleaner.

Physics. The mesh prevents the air pressure from getting through. Are you familiar with the old-time candle holders that were used to move about the house, or to the outhouse? They were tin boxes punched with a bunch of holes in a decorative pattern. No matter how much you tried to blow through those holes, or no matter how windy it was, you could not blow the candle out. I doubt the problem is the air filter.

Edited by West Peterson (see edit history)

Going back to the original description of the problem, if the air filter can pass enough air to drive down the highway, there is no way it could fail to pass enough air to support and idle condition.

The power brake or clutch cylinder or control valves are the most likely cause of the problem.