Balancer-Check !? 401cui

Guest patbommer

Guest patbommer

Hi there,

i got heavy vibration on my 63 Rivi with a 66 TH400 with Switch/Pitch .. I have read all about exterior balnacin etc... in the Shop-Manuel from 63 is a balancing procedure with the Dynaflow... is there also a procedure with the th 400 ? cause ther no place for weights on convertor..

Is there a possibility to check the balancer mounted on engine ? or balancing the balancer with additional weights ?

I have renewed the Flexplate to the correct with th 400 adapter...

problem is, i have baought the Rivi just with the TH 400 and i dont know whta is beeing done so far...

Vibration are not from drivetrain, cause there still at Park..

anyone some experiences in killing bad vibrations without swappin the engine ?

thx

pat

Guest patbommer

With carrier bearing you mean the central bearing from driveline ? i will take a look.. u-joints are new.. That are so massive vibration ( most at 1800 rpm ) that i think it shoud come from the greatest mass ..that would be the Converter ... can that be out of balance ? where could i buy one ( with switch pitch ) ?

thx

You stated earlier that this problem existed when the car was in park; that would rule out any driveline problems.

The OE flexplate is balanced along with the rest of the reciprocating assembly. There are six ways that the flex plate can be bolted on, but only one correct way. You have to line up the seventh hole in the flexplate with the dimple in the flange of the crankshaft. If the PO installed the adapter and didnt' line up the flexplate correctly before bolting it on, that could be a possibility.

The outer ring on your dampener could have also slipped.

Have you pulled the oil pan to see if there's anything large sitting in the bottom of it, like part of a piston?

Ed

• 6 months later...
Guest patbommer

Flexplate is is installed. correctly, and its a new part.. I have changed also the converter.. no result.. Driveline couldn´t be, cause vibrations are also in Parkshift. I´ve bought a rebuild balancer...hope thats the solution...

Do someone knows a fact, that anyone have had hard vibrations and elliminated them with changing the balancer ?

thx

Pat,

Sometimes things bolt together with a bit of strain. If it was my car I would slightly loosen the major component bolts and run the engine gently. That would be the motor mounts, transmission mount, and bell housing bolts. You might find there is/was a binding point. Test between the tightening of each component.

If my memory is right, I read a similar process in the 1939 Buick shop manual years ago.

One last thought, check that your starter is not dragging on the flex plate.

Bernie

I read the latest post then went back and re-read the entire post. One thing suuck out this time. You mention that your flex plate is "new." Is it a reproduction or a "new to you" OE part. I've seen some of the reproduction flex plates and have yet to see that they contain any balancing weight. Just an observation.

Ed

Guest patbommer

Okay, here more information, cause maybe i forget something to pay attention:

I bought the car ( !963 Riv Chassno. 7J1030645 ) 5 Years ago. During restoring i saw that the Trans was changed from Dynoflow into a TH400 ( Super Trubine 400 Code: 66T-446 ).

i can´t remember verry well, but there were some vibrations. Then i have rebuild the engine 4 Years ago. From the feeling the vibrations were become every year a bit more. So i decided to check the flexplate and i saw that it was the wrong..to much place for the converter in the centerhole. So i bought a reproduction part on ebay, basic balanced for 401 nailhead with adapter for th400. After that i had to bring the starter 4mm away from the flexpalte cause there wasn´t space. now its ok. but the vibrations were still there. so i decided to change the converter, still no good result. now ive ordered the balancer.. hope that will bring the aspected result. Or are there more possibilities for a mistake ? Could the central schaft from the Trans been bent, because the converter wasn´t centered fine for a few years ?

Please give me all your ideas and experience 1

thx to all..

• 2 months later...
Guest patbommer

Hey Rivnut, its a reproduction part.. it is basic balanced.." and recommended to be balanced with Cranc.and damper...

Now i chanched the also the damper, ( rebuild one ). A bit better... but the vibration are still heavy at 1800 rpm. below and at higher rpm i thin its nearly good...