Rear brake hose on '41 Buick Century

Guest Earl

I don't understand what's going on with the brake lines on my '41 Buick. I ordered the rear hose from CARS and it came right away but is male on one end and female on the other. The original hose is female on both ends and is about 9"- 10" long. It really doesn't look like anything has ever been changed under there until I got to it, but I can't find a hose like that for this car. And the others I've found that are supposed to be for this application are male/female as well. Has anyone else run into this with these Buicks? Am I missing a fitting under there? Plus, I can't find a connection to ad to make it work.

Earl,

I looked at the rear brake hose on my 40 Buick. I think the 41's should be the same. It has male/female ends. I ordered this one from CARS and it fit perfectly.

The male end should thread into a brass "Y" block that is mounted to the frame and the female end attaches to the actual metal brake line. The "Y" block (maybe called a proportioning valve - not sure) has 2 metal brake lines and then the rubber hose connected to it.

Maybe you can look for an adapter or see if someone on here has that "Y" block. Maybe try an auto store, too.

Hope this helps.

Joe

Guest aussie buick

A good brake and clutch supplier should be able to have a hose made to whatever size and fittings you want.

I did some checking on parts numbers and Buick only used that hose on a few models. I've only been able to find it on the 1941 Super, Century & Roadmaster. And also on the 1939 Special, Century & Roadmaster. It wasn't used in 1940 on any of the models and wasn't used before or after those two years. It doesn't make sense why Buick did that to themeselves but they did. At least now I know what I'm looking for and it sounds like Jolly_John will be able to help me out on this one. At least now that I know they are the same in '39 I'll be able to get something worked out if he doesn't have one. In 1941 it also mentions some variations on that hose thing depending on which plant the car was actually made in, to further add to the confusion. But mine has the arrangement that was the one that's usually seen for that year & model. Thanks now you guys for your help on this one.

I had the exact same issue with my 1941 56-C. I got the proper hose from Craig Studnick, Mobile Parts. He was in Carlisle PA at the spring show. He has all the brake system, front end stuff, tune up stuff etc that you could need. His number is 516-485-1935. I believe the EIS part number for the hose is SP753.

Good Luck

• 12 years later...
On 7/21/2010 at 6:08 PM, qbansmokr said:

I had the exact same issue with my 1941 56-C. I got the proper hose from Craig Studnick, Mobile Parts. He was in Carlisle PA at the spring show. He has all the brake system, front end stuff, tune up stuff etc that you could need. His number is 516-485-1935. I believe the EIS part number for the hose is SP753.

Good Luck

I know I am 13 years late but I’ll give it a shot. According to Buick parts books and Delco, the 1941 Super  and Roadmaster convertibles had a different rear hose than other Supers and Roadmasters because the frame thicknesses are different. Did you get the one for the convertibles or rather the generic Super and Roadmaster?  Might Mr. Studnick have the convertible one?  Thanks