How do 1936 Chrysler headlights come apart??

auburnseeker

I need to pull the radiator on my 1936 Chrysler C7 Airstream roadster, To do this I need to get the headlights apart to fish the wires back through the radiator brackets. I have removed the small screw under the headlight and the headlight bezels will not come off. I have sprayed them and let them soak for a few days with WD40 and have carefully even sharpened a screw driver which I then forced into the bottom of ring on the underside and it still won't come loose. Does the bottom just pry out and then you lift up the ring to release the top or is there something I'm missing here. If they are just stuck they are stuck really good. Please help so I don't wreck the lenses or bezels. I know they are near impossible to find. I imagine they haven't been removed since the 1960's or earlier. Thanks in advance, Randy

Try this....same as 1936 Dodge Brothers, I believe. John

I wonder what kind of 'special tool' they are refering to? From 1934 - 1936 Auburn must have used the same manufacturer, as the headlights work exactly the same way.

I wonder what kind of 'special tool' they are refering to? From 1934 - 1936 Auburn must have used the same manufacturer, as the headlights work exactly the same way.

I believe that the "special tool" was a suction cup type of affair with a semi-hard rubber cup.

That did the trick. It took a little persuasion but I got them apart. You have to use a screw driver as well to gently pry the lense from the gasket as it was pretty stuck. Nice Auburn by the way. That's what I was looking for when I settled for the Chrysler. Well I guess I atleast get the Auburn Experience with the headlights. Thanks again. It was a life saver. Randy

For the record:

IF all you wanted to do is disconnect the lights, there was a plug at the base of

the head light, which makes removing the lens unnecessary. This was factory on

1936 Chrysler C7 and C8. I've seen this on other Chrysler products but I can't

say which. Eric

PS Note: NOT the same as the diagram someone posted.

I didn't think Iwould have missed the plugs when I looked everything over but after getting the lights apart the plugs had actually been pushed in past the edge of the bucket so it looked like the wires actually went right to the sockets. I did see the plugs when I got the headlights apart but I'm pretty sure atleast one of them wouldn't have come out to get apart without gutting the buckets. That would have made it alot easier If they had been visible. I need to take everything apart and replace the rubber seals to the grille shell anyways. Might as well do it right while I'm in there. Thanks for the input though. Everyday seems to be a learning experience on this one.

Does anyone know where to get hubcap skins for a 1936 Chrysler C7?

Randy

• 6 months later...

I appreciate the help. I did get them apart and back together. I even got the car back together and back on the road. I'm sure I'll be taking them apart again for other scheduled work. Actually once you have taken them apart or seen them apart, it makes sense how they work and come apart. Thanks to the members on this forum they were a big help.