First Generation Door Edge Guards - Application

Guest ZombyWoof

Guest ZombyWoof

Got a set last year...finally cleaned 'em up and now ready to put 'em on.

Are there any tricks I should know so as not to scratch anything?

Just slide-on, ya?

I didn't put mine back on. Every time I have put them back on past vehicles after paint I chip paint off of the door edge. Especially on any angled body line (like the one just below the door handle). The trim always covers the chipped paint. But it always pisses me off that I chipped it.

I didn't put mine back on. Every time I have put them back on past vehicles after paint I chip paint off of the door edge. Especially on any angled body line (like the one just below the door handle). The trim always covers the chipped paint. But it always pisses me off that I chipped it.

A solution to prevent chipping paint is to use a clear adhesive door edge guard film first and then slip the metal door edge guard over it. You could probably also use a clear tape.

I used a clear silicone RTV sealer inside the channel on the door edge guards on my '68, to prevent/minimize paint chipping and allow them to slide on easier. It also seals them from trapped moisture when you wash the car. Any access silicone will clean off easily without damaging the painted surface.