1935 Buick Transmission Problem

pint4

My 35 Buick Series 40 transmission grinds just about everytime I shift from 2nd to 3rd. I have to play around with the shifter to get it into gear. My son would love to drive the car but I don't dare because he would problably trash the transmission as soon as he shifted it from 2nd to 3rd. He is still new to manual transmisssions. I would like to find a replacement if there isn't a fix and am told 1934 through 1937 Buick Series transmissions will all work. He would like to drive the car to a show. Any thoughts/ideas?

Thanks,

Bob

If you have a transmission for sale, my email address is pint4@new.rr.com or ph: 920-731-8519.

Old Buick transmissions require a slow moving short shift cycle.

Try going only ten feet in first, fifty in second and then shift into third... while going only 25 - 30 MPH with 3-5 second counts between gears.... Use SAE 250W gear oil too....

My 2 cents...

Sounds like a worn 2nd gear synchronizer; had the same problem on my '36 Pontiac. A good old time transmission guy can fix it easy, once you get it out of the car (that's the time consuming part). Northwest Transmission Parts is a good source of such things. Ask for John, 937-442-2811.