30U Fuel Tank finish

Guest fordv840

Guest fordv840

Hi all,

I am going to drop my tank and seal it with the Eastwood kit. After I do this I was going to repaint the tank. Right now I would say it is a semi-gloss to gloss black. Does anyone know what the finish should be?

Thanks,

Jason

Edited by fordv840 (see edit history)

Guest fordv840
Not sure, but I think the gas tank was "terne metal" (lead/tin coated steel) and as such probably did not have paint on it.

Interesting, maybe I should just strip it and clear coat it. I guess I should be a a little more aware when I sand it also seeing if it is coated with lead!

Guest martylum

You can obtain factory photos of your car from Chrysler Historical. I have factory photos of 1929 and 30 Desotos chassis showing the gas tank painted black. Desoto and Plymouth were made in the same factory area and shared a chassis so yours was probably also painted black.

Marty Lum

Guest fordv840

Well after dropping the tank I know why my fuel is so nasty! Tons,and tons of rust chunks! Anyway the tank has a spot on the top that has been cut open and welded back up. Also the pickup is on the front side of the tank with a long tube strait into the tank. Is this normal? There is also a drain in the bottom of the tank but it appears to have had some work done to it as well. I am considering just getting a new tank but after an online search that might be harder than it seems. Maybe I should just do what I planned to this one? Anybody know of a source for an aftermarket tank? Also how about a replacement sending unit? Mine is very rusty.

Thanks,

Jay