1989 outside temp guage

handmedownreatta

Guest Mc_Reatta

No, but I bought a indoor outdoor battery operated thermometer on sale at where else Harbor Freight. I wedge the remote sensor into the ac vent, and lay the unit on the center console. I can see the 140 deg temp when I get in the car when it's been out in the sun all day with the windows up. (That's with reflectors in both the windshield and the rear window.) It's a mere 120 when I leave the windows cracked about 1" but risk a wet butt on the way home.

The outdoor reading let's me see how well the AC is performing and finish off a refrigerant charge too.

I don't think the outside temp sensor would read accurately on the inside of the car. Here's why: it is calibrated to compensate for outside air moving over the sensor while the car is in motion. This is also why you will notice the outside temp is inaccurate on the display when the car is not moving.

Now that I think about it, perhaps the calibrating/compensation of the temperature is done by the BCM and not the sensor itself (not quite sure) but in either case a stationary sensor will not read accurately as this setup is intended to reflect outside temp with the car moving.

Having an actual cabin temp readout is actually a good idea. However, hardware hacking a outside sensor with a switch in the sensor input line will not be the way to achieve that result if you want a truly correct temp readout for inside the car.

KDirk