'53 center link???

Aaron65

Hey all,

I have a clunk in my '53 Special's steering. It's coming from the "center link," where the pitman arm attaches to the part where the tie rods attach. I can see and feel a little play in there. I can't seem to find that part anywhere, except maybe Kanter, who has a drag link rebuild kit. What's the deal with this thing? Easy to rebuild? Am I on the wrong track? I'd appreciate a little insight on the whole deal. Thanks!

Aaron

There's a threaded plug on each end secured with a cotter pin. Loosen the spring loaded plugs and drop the link. Disassemble, clean and inspect the balls and cups for wear. Pay attentention to how the parts come out. there are different spacers etc in there. If it looks good lube and reassemble. If not replace or rebuild.............Bob

Aaron,

You shouldn't need a kit. Just a good thorough cleaning/ lubing. Pay attention to Bob: lay out the parts from side to side as you disassemble so you can get the parts back in the same order. It is an easy job that can make a big difference in your steering.

Wow...that was a mess. Nothing broken though. I may just be imagining it, but the car feels a lot tighter now...what a Rube Goldberg contraption though! Crazy stuff! One last thing, what does the steering gear use for lubricant? The manual says multi-purpose gear lube, but it seems to have bearing grease in there...I assume they don't mean gear oil...am I wrong? You know, I've had this car 5 years, and have had much of it torn apart at one time or another, but I'm just now getting around to this drag link deal. Weird. :)