2010 Olds Nationals

Guest rwmerz

I believe there was a cap as to how many cars there were (I think 400, but don't have my "Journey With Olds" with me to confirm that). Given the enthusiasm that people seemed to be signing up for the show last fall (I called to make my reservation with the host hotel in November, and was told it was already sold out!), I would think it would have maxed out.

Perhaps Ted Loranz or Bill Black from the New England Chapter would be able to give us an official count; looking forward to seeing everyone up there for the Meet--can't wait for the lobster tail at the Thursday night clambake sponsored by Fusick Automotive.

For the long trip from Canton, Ohio, I just bought a new set of five 235/75/R14 1-inch whitewall radials from Coker Tire for the '62 Starfire, also had to get some upper and lower ball joints to make sure they wear evenly.

Will also be in Lansing at the NAOC Meet at the beginning of July.

I believe there was a cap as to how many cars there were (I think 400, but don't have my "Journey With Olds" with me to confirm that).

450 and as of today there are still spots available. Registrations need to be in by Monday June 21st, however.

Never been to an Olds National. Do many pre-1960 or so cars show up? Wondering what my chances might be to see and photo a 1949 Woody Wagon? It's a 450 mile drive for us. I assume the Olds Club (clubs?) publish a magazine/newsletter ?Opinions? What is its (their) primary focus? If you were restoring a '49 Olds which clubs/publications might be useful? Thanks!

The OCA caters to post war Oldsmobile IMO. There is an antique Olds club that tends to focus on the older cars. I was a member of the OCA for two years when I was into Oldsmobiles. I liked the Journey With Olds magazine.

For the 49 Olds, I would join the "other" club.

Oldsmobiles - again my opinion - are like the Pontiacs. They made a lot of performance cars from 1962ish on that appeal to younger guys and those guys and gals aren't necessarily big club joiners.

And some are numbers guys, like the Mopar crowd (1 of's) whereas the Antique Olds Club would not be so into smoky burnouts, uber authenticity and one upmanship.

This scenario is not unique to Olds, Buick has about 5-6 splinter groups. If everyone belonged to one club, we would have 15,000 members. Oh well.

The OCA caters to post war Oldsmobile IMO. There is an antique Olds club that tends to focus on the older cars. I was a member of the OCA for two years when I was into Oldsmobiles. I liked the Journey With Olds magazine.

For the 49 Olds, I would join the "other" club.

Oldsmobiles - again my opinion - are like the Pontiacs. They made a lot of performance cars from 1962ish on that appeal to younger guys and those guys and gals aren't necessarily big club joiners.

And some are numbers guys, like the Mopar crowd (1 of's) whereas the Antique Olds Club would not be so into smoky burnouts, uber authenticity and one upmanship.

This scenario is not unique to Olds, Buick has about 5-6 splinter groups. If everyone belonged to one club, we would have 15,000 members. Oh well.

I'm going to disagree with that. Yes, OCA has more musclecars than prewar cars, but that's also a function of how many have survived. The club welcomes all Oldsmobiles, stock and modified. There's no reason why you can't join both clubs. You'll get different perspectives and you'll also help educate us 50+ year old "young'ns" about the finer points of older cars.

Here's an example. At last year's OCA Nationals, Joe Mondello, the name most frequently associated with Oldsmobile performance cars, brought a Curved Dash Olds.

I won't say you won't see a wagon at the OCA Nationals in Sturbridge, but I'd say the chances are better of seeing one at the NAOC National Meet in Lansing next month. I'll check to see if we have any registered.

We get fewer cars at the NAOC meet, but they are all prior to 1966.

Info on the meet, and the club, is available in the link my signature line.

Paul