Pictures of Walter Miller's 1920 Peerless

jbohan

Gee, Kim, nice photos!

It looks almost like the ex-Rex Hadley Peerless Limousine that now is in Oxnard, CA. Only it's not. Both are in perfect shape, judging by the photos, but this red 1920 Peerless limo has a different interior. I compared pictures of this car and the one in California and they definitely have different upholstery patterns. Incredible that there could be two like this!

Great shot of the Peerless V-8 motor, by the way. They definitely don't look like your average V-8, with the nickel-plated brass water-return pipes. Is the owner the same Walter Miller with the antique auto literature business? ----Jeff

Edited by jeff_a (see edit history)

• 3 weeks later...

Gorgeous Automobile. :D Same engine as the one I got running for a friend a number of years ago. To bad the old fellow that had it stored for 50 years knocked the body off, and then discarded it to build a vintage racer in the early 50's. Motor was seized and I had to tear it down the get it loose as mice found their way into the cylinders and filled them with grape seeds from the old mans vine. Dandy Dave!

Guest autolit.com

Dear Jeff Brown,

Thank you for your compliments and I am in fact the same Walter Miller that has been in the literature business for many years. This is, in fact, Rex Hadley's car and I have owned it since October, 2009. I loved everything about the restoration except for the very loud "Victorian" trim that he had throughout the interior. Last winter, I picked out a much more tasteful trim that was more historically accurate but have not touvhed the headliner or seat upholstery, as they appeared correct. The car won first place in its class at its first show in Norwich, New York and will appear in the July 4 Fountain Elms Concours in Utica, New York. I also applied for the Pebble Beach 2010 Councours but the car was rejected. Perhaps with the new upholstery trim, they will reconsider next year. It is great mechanically and runs nicely on the highway. I am seeking any information about this car's history. I know that General Hadley purchased the car, probably in the 1970s and was told that it was in an auto museum in New Jersey but cannot confirm this. Any leads would be most appreciated. The car has been titled as a 1917 Peerless for many years but I have confirmed that it was produced in 1920 with serial number 7L2818, body number 261288, engine number 13347. I was fortunate enough to see the other Peerless model 56 four passenger roadster, which sold at the Hershey auction last October. I also saw a Peerless model 56 four passenger roadster that was for sale in Maine about eight years ago. This car was mostly original and ran but had a knock. I think it was a 1918. I have lost track of this car. If anyone wants to call me with any information, feel free to at (315)247-2388 or email me at info@autolit.com.

-Walter Miller, Syracuse, NY.

Walter,

Thank you for the correction -- I guess I was wrong about there being two separate Peerless Limousines with slightly different interiors but identical exterior colors. It seems that there is just one. There is, however, a nearly identical car in a museum in Tennessee; the Smoky Mountain Antique Car Museum in Pigeon Forge, I believe. This one's a 1920 Light Grey/Dark Grey Limousine.

Congratulations on the first place award at the Norwich AACA Car Show, and the invitation to the Fountain Elm Concours in Utica! ----Jeff

• 1 month later...

Jeff

You are awesome in your awesomeness. You have truly become the master and I am you're grasshopper. To be able to pick out a car on they fly and note the only difference, which is then actually changed by the present owner, is fascinating and disturbing at the same time.

Get to your Peerless my man.

Walter,

Thank you for purchasing this vehicle and tahnk you even more for displaying it. While I understand it is truly valuable, occasionally if a lady or daughter comes up you might let feel like queen for a day and sit in the back.

Jeff,

I need to talk to you, will try to call this week, change of hours, 3 jobs, a BCA National etc kind of put me behind about 3 years.

Bryan,

Whoa, I don't know that much! I didn't even make the right deduction about there being just one car. I just figured that with the different interiors; one in CA and one in NY; and the coach lamps pointing different directions*......logic suggested there must be two.

I don't have much practical experience with Peerless cars yet, but I have logged a lot of hours studying all the extant cars (and trucks) locations. Have you tried looking at the global map of Peerless vehicle locations on KPAIE? It has a little flag showing each one. The truth is, I've still never driven a Peerless and have only seen five. They're spaced pretty far apart in the northern Rockies (none in WY, 1 in ID, 2 in MT). By comparison -- you live in a hotbed of Peerless vehicle locations, considering all the ones within 250 miles of you. What I'm getting at is that a lot of the long-time Peerless owners know 10 times more than I do.

----Jeff

P.S.: I do appreciate the compliment that I know something about these old cars, but it's the cars that are awesome, not me. I suppose if some venture capitalists try to re-start the Peerless Motor Car Corporation, I would have a marketable skill after all.

P.P.S.: Did you get to see those two Nickel-Era Peerlesses in Ames again during the BCA Meet?

* there was a set of photos in the Vault Cars.com website I believe, a couple of years ago, that showed the sidelamps tapering up instead of tapering down like these pictures

Edited by jeff_a (see edit history)

Jeff,

I did not. The ability to get into the Quam collection is something better left to a phone call. I can't go into details but many of my posts are being monitored (not by AACA) for content unbecoming, if you know what I mean. Although I know I am as harmless as a small bug.

I tried valiantly to gain access for the pre war division after tour to the collection and I was close but ran out of time. I can have access in the future with a little notice.

The father, Mr. Quam, has passed away. His widow resides in Ames and I had a chance to speak with her. I would like to speak with her again about her memories of Grant's collection.

More later