1963 Headlight Covers

Guest riv63gs

Guest riv63gs

Hello all,

Has anyone repainted the headlight covers on their 1963/64? Which brand of spray paint is closest to the original silver? I already have them stripped.

Any other tips are much appreciated.

Thank you, Gerry

ROA 11178

Visit your local body shop supply houses and find out which ones can load aerosols with factory matched colors. It's the same paint you'd get in a qt. or gal. but a lesser amount that's mixed and put into an aerosol. I don't know if they can supply you with the original lacquer, but as long as there's no blending needed, it shouldn't matter. IF your car has had a repaint, some supply house should have a color analyzer that will match the paint for you. It's a neat little optic box that has a chip in it. I've had True Auto Supply in Merriam Kansas do this for me on three different cars. A '70 Skylark for the door jams, an '84 Riviera for the bumper fillers, and an '85 Riviera for the underside of the hood and trunk. Every color came out of the can an exact match.

Ed

Based on Jim's reply, I'm now under the impression that you're wanting to repaint what was originally painted silver. The first time I read it, I was assuming that you wanted to do some monochrome painting of the chrome parts. The cast aluminum that Jim is referring to works fine. The name of the original silver is Argent Silver and it can be purchased from Eastwood.

Ed

Edited by RivNut (see edit history)

Guest riv63gs

Thank you everyone. Exactly the info I was looking for. I'll post some pics when it's done. Gerry

Guest riv63gs

Project complete. I ended up using Rustoleum, dull nickel. It's a decent match and the best I could find locally. I decided to paint the cowl vents as well. I'm very happy with the results. Best of all, it's very easy to do, so I can always change if need be. For now, I'm driving.

Thanks again, Gerry Schmidt

ROA 11178

post-51263-143138224624_thumb.jpg

post-51263-143138224627_thumb.jpg