38 Special trunk repair

jeff

I am continuing the process of rebuilding the rear body work on my 38 Special, following last summer's rear end collision. Since I now have the trunk floor, tool tray, and rear valence replaced, the trunk area will be much, much better than it ever was before.

The question is this: What should I paint the inside of the trunk with? Did the Buick have any fabric or matting in the trunk? What is factory correct? Having gone this far, I might as well do the right thing to finish the job - pretty sure that the black Rustoleum that I used last time is not correct.

Any pictures or descriptions would help.

Thanks,

Jeff

I believe it should have had a fabric covering. My '41 does and it is only 3 years newer. From that perspective, it is best to paint the repaired metal to protect it, then cover it.

Vendors like SMS, LeBaron Bonney, or Hampton Coach would likely be able to outfit you with correct style fabric, although you would need to confirm what that is with a '38 owner. I do know that there are differences depending on whether the car has sidemounts or a spare in the trunk (then there is a shelf above the spare).

Good luck.

Guest Grant Magrath

Hey Paul,

Is the 38 trunk the same as the 39 re-fabric used? The 39 Chevy and Buick used the same pattern, available from Hampton Coach as a kit, with obvious differences. I seem to recall a tan fabric with a thin diagonal stripe, and a jute backing for the 38, but I could be wrong. Our 38 was already done in a modern grey automotive carpet when we bought it 8 years ago.

Cheers

Grant:)

Thanks for the feedback - I'll look forward to the pictures. When you say "fabric lined" do you mean the side sheet metal as well as the shelf? Certainly not where the spare tire slides in, right? What is down in the tool tray - perhaps a rubber mat?

I can post some pictures of the sheet metal repair, when I get them off of my friend's camera. He has been taking pictures all along.

Jeff

Guest ZondaC12

Wouldn't know about 38 vs 39. Though there is a guy around here with an amazingly clean unrestored '39 roadmaster that usually brought it out to the multiple cruise ins around here each week last summer, but lately has had his same condition '41 caddy out. Im sure the 39 will be out soon, I'll have him open his trunk, Im sure he'll be glad to!

Thanks Mark.

Looks like a fabric on the sides and upper wheelwells, and rubber matting on the deck. Nothing but painted sheet metal below. Correct?

I will post some pictures of my repair, as soon as I get them from my friend's camera.

By the way, great color.

Jeff

Jeff,

The rubber shelf mat is not original but the padding on the bottom is. Everything else is just painted.

I reassembled all the chrome, lights, etc. yesterday filled her up & and took her for a test drive between rain showers. It has been really hard starting lately and wouldn't re-start after stopping for a visit with one of my local Buick buddies. We found about a teaspoon of water under the distributor cap.

I was lucky my buddy had compressed air to dry it out so I could get it started to return home just before it started raining again... Oh well, it is just typical of life here in the great Northwest.

Edited by Mark Shaw (see edit history)